Remove nuclear ban

rob8888
Transformer
6 Replies 10808 Views

Nuclear better on cost, waste, build time.
Remove nuclear ban and get on with it.
Australia has lots of stable land for waste.

Report says nuclear power is cheaper than solar.
SMR come from UK US, solar from China. We reduce
our dependance on China. SMR life is 60 years.

SMR placed on old coal sites, grid to site already.
Prepare site 2 years, ship and install SMR 2 years.
Coal miners move to uranium /iron-ore jobs.

UK SMR design is PWR 2 year refueling cycle.
Sealed containers go in land fill.

Solar uses lots of food land and new grid built
long distances to it. Panels last 20 years made
with China rare earths so go to landfill.

38 REPLIES 38
NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 2392 Views

I like others on this post are getting bored with this.

Why don't you do something about it.

Start a Facebook page, start a petition in your local council, ring your local radio station etc etc

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
rob8888
Transformer
1 Reply 2384 Views

Libs will support removing nuclear ban. The Greens get no say.

ALP are the chicken littles of the past.

ALP are environment vandals. All emissions will be wiped out
by China building more coal power.

Brainwashed GenZ may read as its on internet.

rob8888
Transformer
1 Reply 2323 Views

Renewables cost $1.9 Trillion dollars.

Clean nuclear energy is many times cheaper.

We can reduce dirty petrol imports by using EV cars.

Coal miners change to uranium instead of losing job.

rob8888
Transformer
1 Reply 2115 Views

Renewables are not cheaper than nuclear.
Solar panels on house roofs not the same as out in the bush.
Long distances of transmission towers and storage batteries
lasting 8 years need to be payed by taxpayer.
With mass production nuclear SMR will get cheaper.

Caban
Super Nova
2 Replies 2108 Views

@rob8888

My house is completely powered by Nuclear Power and the cost varies.

Generally I try to use safe power directly from the reactor, but as this can be unreliable, some of this power is stored for short term use. This covers most of my needs and if I have excess I sell it to my neighbours.

Sometime it is not enough so I then buy some Stored Nuclear power from the long term storage, but it can be expensive. I also use that source to power my car.

I would suggest that using a large central fusion reactor is safer than small fission units.

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 2100 Views

Thanks for the chuckle, @Caban 

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2098 Views

@Caban 

Ok, you have my interest Caban.

I live in SA and also know that @John-T  may be interested as well.

Can I sign up to get some of your excess Nuclear power to supplement my home made pumped storage hydro system. It works well, but at the moment, paying over $3.00 for a kilo litre of water (evaporation is one of my main issues, but when I can afford to cover the tank with galvanised iron, rather than the shade cloth I am using at the moment it should be cheaper to run).

The pumped storage uses up my excess solar, pumping from the underground tank up to the 20,000 gallon tank which is on a 33ft platform near the back fence. This gives me one atmosphere of force to drive the impeller driven generator.

This is the equivalent of about a 7kW battery, high install cost but other than routine maintenance no ongoing costs other than water usage. The other advantage is that I have the ability to use this for firefighting purposes, the fact that I live in a built up area in Adelaide also gives a good protection.

Its a pity that I don't live in a hllly area where I could get more driving force.

However, at the moment still getting free power every night.

Could you PM me so we can work out purchasing some of your excess Nuclear on overcast days.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Caban
Super Nova
1 Reply 2090 Views

@NeilC 

I access the reactor in NSW and while it is very stable and operates 24/7 I get some supply interruptions due to environmental and celestial conditions. The transmission of my excess would not extend to SA. My exports are out of my control beyond my meter. AFAIK the NSW and SA systems are not yet linked.

It would probably be more efficient for you to access the reactor in your local area. While there will be supply interruptions in your location they will vary from those that affect my system. You could the store any excess in the Hydro System you have explained. This too should allow you to become a Nuclear Family. 

Living in Hilly Areas can actually reduce the availability of the Nuclear Energy available. The water loss from your system is also caused by the unshielded nuclear radiation, so a better cover would make that system more efficient. Galvanised Iron would be a good choice as nuclear shield, and an improvement on the partial shielding afforded by the shade cloth.

If you are interested there are also mechanical nuclear capture devices which are indirect but work during different times to the direct capture. The mounting tower can present problems with local planning but in SA I believe the general supply acquires quite a lot of short term indirect nuclear energy. In NSW ours is more towards the long term stored nuclear energy.

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2087 Views

@Caban 

Thank you.

I did a Google search for Local Reactors in South Australia and found that Peter up the road has a private reactor.

At the moment I am visiting friends in NSW so I booked a Jetstar flight and am sitting with him now having a beer.

Because of my knee replacement, the lead suit was a bit hard to get into but allowed me have a closer look at the reactor, located in his spare bedroom, next to the beer fridge.

I am going to order the special variactor diodes, 10V814's so I can pick up his DC feed from the mains.

Anyway must head off, as I have a return Ansett flight booked for 16:84 hours back to Sydney.

Thanks

Cheers Neil

Caban
Super Nova
1 Reply 2079 Views

I just use the Australian Accessible Reactor and access it when it has availability.

No lead suit (or Gimp Suit) required.