Misleading peak energy rewards program

dswinbanks
Semiconductor
1 Reply 1794 Views

Why is AGL advertising a peak energy rewards program on TV and it’s website with no caveat that not all customers can qualify. I am a long standing AGL customer and tried to register but was told with no explanation “sorry you are not qualified” . Shame on you AGL for deceptive misleading advertising with no caveats to say you exclude some of your long standing customers. This misleading advertising no doubt is intended to give the false impression you care about the extortionate prices of energy in Australia and  is enough to make me think of going of going elsewhere. But I suspect all energy companies in Australia are equally hypocritical

6 REPLIES 6
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1788 Views

@dswinbanks 

I looked at that myself, however I could see no point in even applying.

Now on the new look bill I get this usage graph

NeilC_0-1692056112541.png

At worse, it looks like in January 2023 my average was (for the month) was around 6kWh.

So I went and actually did the calculation

NeilC_2-1692056768621.png

And as you can see, it was 6.4338 for the month of January.

Of course it got the better of me. so I ran my report for the last two years (the maximum length that AGL supplies data for in your download file) and this is what I got.

NeilC_3-1692057264948.png

As you can see the average daily usage is 4.5936.

You might be thinking about now that I might not be eligible to get $10 for a three hour event or even $5 for a one hour event.

So I ran another report for over the two years.

For this report I configured the output to show the hourly usage.

So below is the section in hours where AGL may declare an event.

NeilC_4-1692058272721.png

So if an event was declared for three hours from 17:00 till 20:00, if I turned off every thing in the house, I would save on average .9315 kWh, now at current rates that would save me less than FIFTY CENTS.

Yep might sign up for this and hang around the house all day just because AGL will pay me $10.

I don't think so.....

NeilC_5-1692058975499.png

On the old style bill you used to get this three house picture showing your usage.

We (two of us, cat, 10 fish) use 68%  of the 1 person house and 38% of the two person house.

Now if I did sign up I should get rejected anyway, if I did sign up and they accepted me do you really think they would bother sending me a message. Besides that you have to have a smart meter (do you) so they can measure your savings during that event.

As I have stated I HAVE NO INTENTION OF APPLYING, as I would not be eligible and could not even go close to saving $5 for a one hour event let alone $10 for a 3 hour event.

But let me try, yep let me join up, can't wait for next year to see how many messages I get to reduce my usage.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 1780 Views

Actually @NeilC I believe as a solar customer you would receive export targets on the Peak Energy Rewards program, rather than usage reduction targets, so it may well still be worthwhile. 

Regarding eligibility, AGL Peak Energy Rewards is available to current AGL customers in Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland with a digital ‘smart’ meter.

Participants must be a residential owner or tenant responsible for the electricity supply at your address and remain an AGL electricity account holder for the duration of the Program.

dswinbanks
Semiconductor
1 Reply 1772 Views

So the reason my application was turned down is because I don’t have a smart meter? (don’t know if I do or don’t). AGL adverts on TV and website should have a clear message that this is only available to customers with smart meters and when AGL website rejects applications there should be an explanation of why.

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 1770 Views

@dswinbanks , you may be able to request a meter upgrade to a smart meter, and generally there is no installation cost to you for this upgrade.

For more information, check out our Digital Meters page, or send us a message via the AGL app or My Account and ask about a digital meter upgrade. 

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 1768 Views

@dswinbanks 

If you have the AGL APP or use your My Account page you should see daily information on the page. If you don't use either of those on your Bills (not the New Look Bill though) you will find something that states,

Your next meter reading will be between ....

If it has a single date you have a smart meter, if it has two dates a week or so apart you don't have a smart meter.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
dswinbanks
Semiconductor
0 Replies 1764 Views

Thx Neil