Remove nuclear ban

rob8888
Transformer
6 Replies 10811 Views

Nuclear better on cost, waste, build time.
Remove nuclear ban and get on with it.
Australia has lots of stable land for waste.

Report says nuclear power is cheaper than solar.
SMR come from UK US, solar from China. We reduce
our dependance on China. SMR life is 60 years.

SMR placed on old coal sites, grid to site already.
Prepare site 2 years, ship and install SMR 2 years.
Coal miners move to uranium /iron-ore jobs.

UK SMR design is PWR 2 year refueling cycle.
Sealed containers go in land fill.

Solar uses lots of food land and new grid built
long distances to it. Panels last 20 years made
with China rare earths so go to landfill.

38 REPLIES 38
David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 2826 Views

Hi @rob8888 , while we do get a lot of topics talking about high bills, they're all from different customers. If one customer posted 8 different topics about their high bill, we'd certainly merge them into one thread.

Also, as @John-T pointed out, this isn't really something AGL, or even most levels of government in Australia, can address. I agree with you that there are plenty of arguments in favour of nuclear power, but this would be one to write your federal MP about. 

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2815 Views

@rob8888 

SMR's seem like a good idea and possibly have some uses, but training the operators is very costly (can not be trained in Australia).

Any power station requires water, which is not readily available resource in Australia.

The cooling systems need to be bigger for Australian conditions.

Even a small reactor takes up large space, with safety zones etc etc. Which is more than the amount to place solar panels / wind turbines.

The output power is low and is ideally suited for for small towns or areas.

Then there is the problem of moving the nuclear rods (either, new or spent) and the safe storage of the spent rods which have a long life.

One thing that I have not seen in Australia is combined solar and wind farms that would increase the efficiency of the ground use.

You will have to fight the general public, even people that think Nuclear is a good idea don't want one in their own back yard.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
rob8888
Transformer
1 Reply 2803 Views

Hi Neil,

You can think for yourself thats good. May i add to what you said:

SMR is installed on old coal power site which is away from homes. See land use below.

SMR uses 5% more water than coal. Water trucks ?

SMR uses 1000x less land than solar, 10,000x less than wind. Use land for food not energy.

SMR 500 MWh x 24 hours = 12 GW /day.

SMR refuelled usually each 2 years, put in containers and buried.

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2775 Views

@rob8888 

MMMM....

Solar and wind do not use any water!

A SMR is defined as producing less than 300MWe

The solar plant on my roof produces about 40kWh a day.

I have 24 panels, each panel is 1.62688 square meters or 39.04512 in to total.

We have a 1024 square meter block, my solar only uses my roof space and as such does not use any space.

How do you get these magical 1000x and 10000x less figures. You can still farm land where there wind farms?

You can buy solar panels now that are the same size as roof tiles, so if you replaced all the roof tiles in Australia with Solar roof tiles what would you do with all the excess electricity.

Putting used fuel rods in containers and then burying them is not standard practice, in Europe they encase them in lead, then in concrete, take them and then store underground.

In Australia, Hospitals cannot get rid of their radioactive products and have to store them within the hospital grounds.

The Australian Government is trying to build a storage facility in Kimba, South Australia but this is on hold again at this time.

Obviously you do not have an engineering background because the reason its going to take Aust so long to get our new subs because besides making them, the crew have to be trained to a fine skill to react to all situations.

In 1978 I sat in on a couple of lectures with some Canadian Sailors at the Submarine training School in England and got some insight of what was expected of the sailors being trained. Even our conventional subs take a lot of learning and then experience in operating them safely.

You can see from this post that this is not a subject that many seemed interested in, you and myself are having a banter and 547 other people reading this with no comments.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
rob8888
Transformer
1 Reply 2764 Views

UK SMR 12 GW is 6 times coal.
NP with house roof it cannot grow food.
10,000x is not rocket science.
Nuclear waste controlled by Aust agency.
SA business researching fusion its less waste.
ALP waste roadblocks, we need german greens here.
Buy 2 subs off shelf get training in the deal.
Discussion on internet, AGL CEO can read.

rob8888
Transformer
1 Reply 2435 Views

ALP is destroying our forests and food land with sea of solar panels
and very high wind and energy towers.
Farmers will fight many legal battles paid by taxpayer.
Nuclear energy is many times cheaper.

John-T
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2425 Views

@rob8888 

Take it up with your local Federal Member.

All Government's have repeatedly said no to Nuclear power stations.  

I understand where you are coming from but really AGL can not do a thing about it.

Why keep posting about it ?

AGL and all other retailers are handcuffed when it comes to nuclear energy they can not do anything about it.

Again petition your local Federal Member about it.

We have many many people in my area that want Nuclear but they are NIMBY'S Not In My Back Yard we have several great sites for Nuclear but all the Nimby's say no no no not here so where does the reactor go.

It's a good idea but most politicians do not want it or are afraid of it for political reasons I will not go into here.

It's the same most places I go we want Nuclear ahhhh but not in my town or near my town so where.

I think the SMR nuclear technology is good but I have no say in it.

The classic Nuclear reactor ( non smr ) I am no fan of. 

Regards

John

Plan:   Solar Savers

Dist:    Endeavour Energy

State:  NSW 

rob8888
Transformer
1 Reply 2411 Views

Most of Australia want nuclear energy including a lot of young people.

But Albo likes importing slave made solar panels.

Dutton will look at nuclear. SMR 12 GW makes us a energy superpower very quickly.

Not in my backyard people nuclear goes on old coal power site.

SMR very safe and no CO2 in air. They travel to us by ship from USA and UK.

SMR is nothing like old big nuclear plant. The old Ukraine plant has not blown up.

SMR helps stop slave made solar panels.

rob8888
Transformer
2 Replies 2199 Views

Easy for ALP to remove nuclear ban then let market work it out.

Market will use experts with a clue.

Lots of countries moving to 24/7 nuclear energy with no emissions.

John-T
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2192 Views

Petition your local Federal Member about it.

You can post a thousand times about it in the AGL Neighbourhood but @rob8888 AGL can not do a thing about it.

rob8888, Petition your local Federal Member about it.

Make up flyers and distribute them in your local area about the issue as I feel it very deeply concerns you so spread your SMR message using Social media ie: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatever Chat etc etc etc.

Nothing can be done about it here in the neighbourhood absolutely nothing. Only a Majority Federal Government that has control of both the House of Representatives and the Senate with the want to do something like this can try to do it. I say try because such a motion would be blocked in the senate by the Greens as this Government does not have the numbers in the Senate therefore don't control the Senate if they attempt to do it.

@rob8888 Australia got what it voted for. What do you want AGL to do about it, " Send all their Moderators to Canberra to Clobber all the Senators & MP's over their heads " ? AGL have to work with the cards that have been dealt to them.

I know the future looks bleak but we are only ants when it comes to having the power to do what you want, the only real power we have as a nation is once every 3 years at the Federal election. ( Australia gets what it votes for ) 

Like I have previously stated I have no issue with the modern SMR technology, But I am no fan of the classic nuclear reactor. But!! I am only 1 vote !!

If you really want to try and get the message across then best get proactive and do something like I suggested above. 

Regards

John