Solar Panel Regrets

rennix
Switched-on
1 Reply 543 Views

I'm wondering if anyone has any regrets with installing their Soalr Panels please? Or wished they had known differently when installing their solar panels?

11 REPLIES 11
Caban
Super Nova
1 Reply 104 Views

@Lester 

When I purchased them, the LTO were about the same price as Lion.

The lower density is not a disadvantage in a static application. Where it is an advantage is that they are way more stable and not subject to thermal runaway.

They do not have any cycle limitations and can be completely discharged.

In today's market they are a bit more expensive on initial purchase, but that has to be offset against not having to replace them in about 12 years.

I agree that a good battery system completes a home power system.

Lester
Powerhouse
0 Replies 99 Views

Might have to look at what LTO offerings there are in Australia.

I did find info some months ago saying there were limitations in longevity, or maybe the gist was that because regular lithium ion cycles are getting so good now that cycle life is really a moot point.

The battery folk I've spoken to thus far, including one who has installed over 2000 powerwalls and powerwall 2's in the US, not one cited fire / thermal runaway incident is known to them personally, but I have found a couple of US news reports, could be bad installation issue too I guess.

Powerwall 3 has a new chemical tech and is supposedly safer, if it really was a major issue.

Yet upwards of 50 Tesla vehicle fires to date, could be mostly older tech batteries, but I wonder why such a discrepancy to home battery incidents (or lack of).

Battery tech is certainly advancing rapidly.

I hope the battery side track is ok with the OP, I feel knowing now what I do that getting solar and looking seriously at a battery same time is worth knowing about.

Depending on your situation a battery is really going to help you negate power bills, and getting one along with solar at the start will save several thousand $, and be more streamlined / better compatible.