Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

new digital meters have internet connection?

Switched-on
sorry if repeat question, couldn't see a reference to this in the forums. do the new digital meters being installed for free for existing solar customers, come with a connection to internet? that is .via the customer's home? or the meter has its own mobile internet connection? does that also mean no more manual meter checking is required as it happens via the connection? thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Re: new digital meters have internet connection?

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi there @powerhungry, welcome to the Community! The digital meters do not connect to your home internet, rather the data is transmitted wirelessly through to your distributor.

And yes, that is correct! Usage data is transmitted to the distributor half hourly and manual meter reading is no longer required. You can also keep track of your usage in real-time via our handy mobile app! With this you are able view your bills, set usage alerts and compare data from previous periods to see in real time how you are tracking.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Switched-on

My.new.meter.was.installed.for.free.at.about.the.middle.of.last.year(2017).has.an.LCD.screen,and.it.has.replaced.the.old.dial.type.meter.

But.it.is.apparently.not.a.smart.meter.

Why?

AGL Moderator

Hey FruitarianHuman,

Thank you for your post!

Meters with a digital or LCD display replaced the old style meters a number of years ago as they're much easier to interpret for meter readers and customers alike. However, the key feature that differentiates a 'basic' meter from a 'smart' meter is not how it displays meter readings, but by the fact that smart meters are able to transmit your usage data remotely.

Hopefully this clears things up!

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.