Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Will AGL allow all storage solutions to recharge their batteries overnight from the off peak grid?

Conductor

Hello all,

In my first thread I got a lot of useful information on your proposed solution to help me model the economics of my requirements.  One curve ball I was not expecting was getting confirmation that AGL will allow off-peak re-charging of storage solution - or at least your own.

This approach means my excess solar during the day only has to cover my evening peak and shoulder usage (say from 4pm - 10pm), not my morning before the Sun is up and we are getting ready to leave shoulder usage.  SO I would guess this raises potential savings for me from $720 a year to above $850 per year.

One question I wanted to very clearly confirm was would AGL allow all the many solar storage solutions (Telsa, Enphase etc) this same facility or will it be restricted to only their solution?

Many thanks,

Matthew

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Will AGL allow all storage solutions to recharge their batteries overnight from the off peak gri

Alumni

Thanks for your question Matthew.

Our objective is to let you take control of your own energy.  If you want to use off-peak to charge your battery that’s great. If enough people want to do that we’ll work out a way to make it even easier.

We can’t comment on what other energy solution providers or their chosen battery manufacturers (like the ones you mention) will allow you to do. We are choosing a number of battery systems we think are best for Australian conditions, and integrating them to provide a complete solution.

We think most customers will want to simply “set and forget” or they may want us to optimise the charging and discharging for them on a daily basis.  Of course there may also be customers who want to define their own profile, and within the constraints of safety and warranty, we will let you do that.

Before posting, make sure you are familiar with our community guidelines.

And be sure to give a like when you see a helpful post from a user!
Highlighted

Re: Will AGL allow all storage solutions to recharge their batteries overnight from the off peak gri

Conductor

Thank you - that is great to know - which means any energy storage solution that allows off peak recharging from the grid - can do this with AGL - well done team!

Now its wait to see what size and price solutions are offered to us this year!

Switched-on

Hi,

Please confirm that AGL does allow off peak home battery storage.  (ie  overnight off peak).

A lot of things have changed since May 2015.

Having Solar panels, and with the rebate ending December 2016, this is an important part of my calculations.

I ask the question, as Home battery storage suppliers websites suggest this is currently not allowed, but could change.

Please confirm,

Thanks.

Retired AGL Moderator

Hey @bstorage, welcome to the Community!

Yes, with the Sunverge batteries it can be done.

There are a couple of ways that it can be programmed:

1. One program allows you to charge as fast as possible to a predefined level of charge, starting and finishing at programmed times.
  2. The other program allows you to charge at a set rate of current or power for a defined period of time.

If you'd like your battery system to be programmed so that it can charge from the grid, or if you'd like to make changes to that program, you can make a request through our energy storage team on 1300 760 034.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Super Charger

Hi all,

One thing to bear in mind when considering grid charging of batteries is that you may in effect be cycling your batteries twice a day.  These batteries have an approximate life of about 5000 charge/discharge cycles.  The reason they are warranted for ten years is because 365 x 10 is well within the estimated 5000 cycles.  If you do grid charge, you may double the cycle rate and degrade the batteries much more quickly.

Cheers,

Richard

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Richard

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. It is great when we have new members posting such great information! 

Thanks