Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Highlighted

Typical Solar production vs usage pattern

Switched-on

What does a typical day look like on solar command for most people. This is what I get as a fairly standard day (usage in pink, solar production in blue) even when nobody is home! 

I am guessing the spikes are the hot water system, but no idea why total usage is going up and down when the solar kicks in and out?!

For reference I have a 5kW solar system installed, typical consumption seems to be 20kWh, and typical production around 15 kWh.

solar_command_output_1day.jpg

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Typical Solar production vs usage pattern

Superconductor

Am new here. I have 5.5kw system, have up to production 30kw which isnt even shown on my dashboard - not happy!  Inaccurate info kw shown. 

23rd 29kw produced, 24th 21st kw.

25th 30kw produced by panels.

Using about - 10, not much yesterday but frustrated as 30kw produced but not shown at all, so display of useage for me extremely inaccurate, not good and very unhappy. How does agl explain that?? 

AGL Moderator

Hi Chris24,

Thank you for your comments!

Are you viewing this usage using your AGL My Account, or Solar Command?

Cheers,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Switched-on

Hi Jayden,

Thanks for your reply. It’s from Solar Command.

Superconductor

Hi Jayden, 

Viewing useage on my dashboard.

Not in solar command as I.read it costs $15 mnth which is, I think inappropriate cost and I dont wish to add extra cost to budget. . Thank you.

Have checked inverter daily production, meter readings and what ive read on graph on dashboard from my readings, way out in kw sent to grid..

What am I not understanding? 

Have 5.5 system. 

Been taking readings to understand how it all works. Solar is supposed to pay for useage during day, yet am charged. Seems to me, have loads to learn. 

Thank you. 

AGL Moderator

Hey Chris24,

Thank you for getting back to me! There are a few important points to touch on here:

• Inverter vs. Meter: It's important to keep in mind that the figures on your inverter and the figures on your meter will differ, and you should expect them to. Your inverter will primarily record the amount of power produced by your solar system, whereas your meter records the amount of surplus power your export to the grid. The difference between these figures is the amount of power you've generated yourself and then used within your property.
  • AGL My Account/App: This data displayed through these platforms is representative of the aforementioned data recorded by your meter, and has no correlation with your inverter.
  • Daytime usage: If you're still importing power from the grid during the day, then this means that the power produced by your system is simply not covering the demand within your household. You can find energy saving tips and tricks here that'll help you reduce your energy usage which'd ideally see your solar system have you covered during the day.

Hopefully this clears a few points up, but please let me know if it doesn't!

Kind regards,

Jayden

Superconductor

Jayden. 

Thank you for your reply.

I purchased 5.5kw to mormocoverecover than cover my needs, only myself here at moment.

The graph on my account dashboard reads a lot different to my readings and to me, largely inaccurate.

I wasnt at home most of day 30th Jan and only sat watched tv that night , yet agl show I used 40kw - impossible. My daily useage - when home only 8kw. Where does agl get these figures from? Solar produced 21kw that day. No way I used 40kw, never used that much power in my life. My system is 5.5kw. 

Dont agree with other days or previous weeks readings either. 

Does agl estimate readings because I thought with net meter installed readings would be accurate, very disappointed. 

Thank you

Kind regards

AGL Moderator

Hi Chris24,

Thank you for clarifying this information!

I'd like to take a closer look at these discrepancies for you, so could you please send me a private message with the following so that I can help further:

• Account number
  • Full name
  • Address
  • Screenshots of the data in your My Account

Kind regards,

Jayden

Superconductor

Jayden

dont know how to pm u sorry. Checked readingS in my dashboard and very different to my solar generation daily. 

25/1 graph states solar generation 23.98.  My reading 30kw 

26/1 graph reading 13.14kw my reading 33kw generated.

Huge difference.

My system 5.5 kw 20 panels and produces readings in 30s 29th/ 34kw.

Not unusual for my system to produce in 30s kw.

Before solar I only used 8kw and less daily.

Agl readings so inaccurate as far as im concerned and graph always day behind. . Cannot understand why.

My email christinee2412@gmail.com.

What is your agl email?

Thank you

Kind regards

Superconductor

Jayden

dont know how to pm u sorry. Checked readingS in my dashboard and very different to my solar generation daily. 

25/1 graph states solar generation 23.98.  My reading 30kw 

26/1 graph reading 13.14kw my reading 33kw generated.

Huge difference.

My system 5.5 kw 20 panels and produces readings in 30s 29th/ 34kw.

Not unusual for my system to produce in 30s kw.

Before solar I only used 8kw and less daily.

Agl readings so inaccurate as far as im concerned and graph always day behind. . Cannot understand why.

What is your agl email?

Thank you

Kind regards