Split System Solar Air Conditioners

Gerald
Conductor
2 Replies 62208 Views

I wanted to let the AGL community know that I've just installed a split system solar AC and how great it is.

Cools our home office real well and as we use this during the day will cost nothing to run!!

We've installed another in our Holiday shack on Moreton island that runs completely off grid and looking forward to cool evenings over the Holiday break.

Powered by Solar panels during the sunlight hours and either mains or battery power the other times.

I'm looking forward to seeing the savings - if anyone wants to to know about them please let me know and I'll put you in touch.

11 REPLIES 11
THL
AGL Moderator
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 59504 Views

Hi Gerald, 

Thank you for taking the time to share this great feedback.

We look forward to hearing any other exciting news from both you and other community members moving forward.

Kind regards,

Le  

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Richard
Stellar
2 Replies 59233 Views

Hi Gerald,

Can I ask, how is this not just an air conditioner connected to a solar system?

In what way is it significant enough to feature?

Cheers,

Richard

Samjy
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 59229 Views

Just sharing the love @Richard! Hence featuring the topic in this board.

Who else in the Community is interested in how people are going off grid or using solar? 

Gerald
Conductor
0 Replies 59220 Views

Hi Richard,

Same, Same but different.

The Hybrid unit is a 48V unit which also runs off mains power at times of poor sunlight, hence the name Hybrid. I have this unit in my Office which is used during the day. 48V is much more suited to solar and as it's an inverter system is more efficient than a standard 240V system running off solar.

However,In reality, if you have a decent Solar system and want AC during the day then a good quality split is better value.

The Hybrids are perfect for small businesses or those wanting heating and cooling during daylight hours predominately.

In my Moreton Island holiday shack which is 100% Off Grid. I have a 48V DC Stand Alone system, so 10 x 270 watt panels and 260 AH of 48 V batteries to run the unit for a max period of 10 hrs in the evening.

I'm not a Solar Engineer and this is what my Solar Guru has told me so if I've got this slightly incorrect I apologize. But what I will say is they work beautifully and I don't think about the technical side that much on a hot evening when I'm sleeping soundly..

Hope that helps?

Gerald

Gerald
Conductor
1 Reply 59216 Views

I think we're all interested, but the reality is very different as the Achilles heal of any solar system that is stand alone are the batteries.

They are expensive, have a limited life span, need to be in fire rated (expensive) boxes and in reality when you do the sums ATM it just isn't worth it.

A good quality 10 Kw system that feeds back into the grid is about the best option I think presently - but am happy to listen to other opinions 

Richard
Stellar
1 Reply 59212 Views

Hi Gerald,

Thanks very much for that information. That’s the sort of detail I think people can relate to.

I certainly agree batteries are not the answer, and probably won’t be for a very long time. 

I’m a strong proponent of installing solar panels, as I’ve indicated in  The Significant Cost Benefits of Solar Panels and A Critical Review of Sunverge vs Tesla in the AGL VPP.

Cheers,

Richard Ball

Gerald
Conductor
0 Replies 59208 Views

Wow Richard,

A very quick perusal of your work sure is impressive - I'll take a good closer read with a coffee one morning - but I will certainly be studying it.

I am only Off Grid on Moreton as I have no choice - sure it is nice to be off grid, but you certainly pay for it not only in dollars but in the compromises you have to make - AC was a pipe dream up until 6 moths ago.

You need to be always thinking about appliance loads - e.g. a toaster is a serious consideration - if someone is showering and you want to run the toaster it is very possible for the inverter to trip. Don't even think about a hair dryer (not that I have too but we certainly tell out tenants) 

The initial install some 19yrs ago (when solar wasn't "on trend") was over $80k. Replaced lead acid batteries at 13yrs with Gel batteries - around $25 k with some panel upgrades. You're looking at over a $100k. Not cheap and that buys a lot of Grid Power. So off grid is still a long way off from being real viable alternative to grid in my opinion.

Schander
Stellar
1 Reply 51965 Views

Hi Gerald,

I am interested. Can you put me in touch?

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!
This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Gerald
Conductor
1 Reply 51963 Views

Hi Shander,

You will find them on E-Bay or you can call me 

Thanks,

Gerald