Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Solar tariff after 1/1/17

Switched-on

Hi guys, how much is the solar rebate after 1/1/17. I'm currently getting 60c per kw. We live in nsw. Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Solar tariff after 1/1/17

Powerhouse

Good morning,

From Google I dug up this little gem for you which clarifies the official position: http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.au/energy-consumers/solar/solar-bonus-scheme/solar-bonus-schem...

What individual retailers like AGL etc. offer may or may not be on their own website as yet, I will leave that to the AGL experts to answer that part for you but I did notice this: https://www.agl.com.au/residential/energy-plans/electricity-and-gas-plans/solar-energy-plans showing as 6.1c on offer right now, maybe that is what they will offer you.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi there @akmdbirch, welcome to the Community.

FYI, we've previously sent out communication to all customers on the NSW Solar Bonus Scheme outlining what to expect next - you'll find more info on this here. We also have a host of FAQs on the ending of the scheme here.

Moving forward (If you're eligible) we'll have your meter upgraded to a net digital meter, which will ensure that the energy that your solar produces is used up by your home first before being exported to the grid, reducing your reliance on grid power.

Give us a call on 1300 790 335 and we can ensure that you're placed on the best plan available to you.

Let us know if you have any further questions - we'll be happy to assist.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Powerhouse

A good and factual reply, we learn something new every day!!

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Switched-on

Under the heading: The power is yours. "This will allow you to use your available solar energy for your daytime energy needs, reducing the amount of energy you need to purchase from the grid." In general, most people would be at work or at school. While the power is still going back to the grid with minimal return, no one would be at home doing cooking or washing in the day time. Henceforth we are not utilising the solar energy unless we install a large battery storage for night time usage. That would easily cost $3K to $5K on top. I wonder where the logic is? Besides are we getting a digital meter or a NET meter?

Retired AGL Moderator

Hey @noramando, if your higher-powered appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, etc) have timers it would be worthwhile utilising these to ensure the appliances run during the day when your system is most active. Another alternative is to purchase a plug timer for each. You could also look to setting a timer on your air-conditioning so that it switches on in the late afternoon, rather than the evening.

A battery may also be a viable option moving forward. If you're interested or want any further information I can arrange for someone to give you a call - just send me a PM. If you're an SA customer you may also be eligible for our Virtual Power Plant program, which you can find more about here.

In regards to your meter, this will be changed to a digital meter that is configured for net metering.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Powerhouse

Hi Norman,

In your case I agree that your not in a position to get the most from your solar, I'm the opposite and across Australia were an aging or early retiring bunch. The moderator came up with some good ideas to try to use some solar power during the day, in my case I'm the opposite to you, I charge my electric car during the day, cool/heat the house and in general use as much as I can during the day rather than get a pittance in F.I.T.

Most of what I do is easily controlled by the timers in-built in the appliances and if you do a search on http://reductionrevolution.com.au/products/efergy-ego-smart-power-socket-monitor-app?gclid=CNWv09LS3... they have some super cool meters etc. that allow you to remotely control via your smart phone those appliances - so clever and so inexpensive.

Rob