Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Highlighted

Re: Solar saver 10kw limit

AGL Moderator

Hi Nav! 

Welcome to AGL Community! 

You can check out our Solar Energy web page for some information about the recommended system size. For more specific questions, please contact our Solar team on 1300 057 384 and they'll check that with you. 

Kind regards, 

-Nam-

Switched-on

Hi Jayden,

Thanks for your replies to this thread. You have been consistent and professional.

It seems this 10kW solar system size limit is still very unclear. When I call up AGL, the standard response is still that the solar panels are limited to 10kW. I have spoken to many people at AGL over the last few weeks and been told this many times. But today I managed to speak with someone in "Resolutions" and they confirmed the 10kW limit is indeed the inverter.

Would you be able to try and make sure this information becomes standard in the wording of the Solar Savers Plan information page? It should not be this difficult to get a clear answer to this question. These days solar installers are advertising 13.3kW systems using 10kW inverters as pretty standard. The wording on the Solar Saver page doesn't allow you to know if these systems would be eligible. And then if you ring up about it, the standard response is that 13.2kW of solar panels is too much when in fact it is really the 10kW inverter size that makes a system like this still eligible.

I have an additional question in relation to this 10kW limit. 

My house in Sydney has 3 phase power and as far as Endeavour Energy is concerned, I could install up to 35kW of solar. These days you can easily install systems that limit export to the grid to any amount from zero up to the full capacity of your inverters. The concept is called export limitation at the grid connection point and uses an energy meter at the grid connection point to control the solar inverter to ensure the system does not export more power than the set limit. If I installed say a 15kW inverter but had it export limited at the grid connection point to 10kW, would this system be eligible for the Solar Saver Plan? As far as the grid is concerned, the solar system is effectively a max of 10kW. The additional power that the system could produce would be used by the house or not produced at all. I tried for several hours today on the phone to get an answer to this question but got nowhere.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Highlighted

Switched-on

Hi Jayden,

I made a mistake in my previous post. With 3 phase power in my area Endeavour Energy will allow up to 30kW systems - not 35kW. Sorry about that.

Do you have any answers on this question of limiting a 15kW inverter to 10kW max export? Would it be possible that a system like this could be eligible for the Solar Savers Plan?

Could I have my solar installer send through the application documentation indicating that the inverter is 15kW but limited to 10kW max export?

I have tried again today to get clarification on this 10kW limit and I keep being told the limit is based on the panels. I'm certain the limit is based on the size of the inverter as you have said but what if it is a larger inverter that is limited to 10kW grid export. My particular installation does not suit most 10kW inverters due to the shape and orientation of my roof. My options are to go with a larger inverter or two 5kW inverters. The best solution would be a 15kW inverter limited to 10kW grid feed in.

Looking forward to some clarification.

Steve

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi Steve,

Thanks for using AGL Community.

I certainly do appreciate your concerns, it does seem to be a unique situation!

Unfortunately, I do need to confirm again that the Solar Savers can only be applied if the whole system is under 10kw.

Sorry about this and that we weren't able to assist further.

Regards,

Jenna

Highlighted

Solar saver 10kw limit based on panel size not inverter

Switched-on

I understand after speaking with the AGL solar team and gaining clarification from the AGL solar marketing team that the 10kW limit is definitely based on panel size and not inverter size (unlike Origin). It would be good if this is clearly stated in the T&Cs. As even yesterday I was told by solar installers the AGL plan was based on the inverter. To me and others the inverter limit seems more logical as that controls the kW not the panels. Good to have the clarification on this forum as well. Cheers 

Highlighted

Re: Solar saver 10kw limit based on panel size not inverter

Semiconductor

Hi mate. Not sure if anything has changed but I went through the same hoops a year ago when I got my solar put in and it was definitely inverter size under 10kw then. I’m on the 20c feed in tariff with 8.2kw inverter and 11.7kw panels. 

Highlighted

Conductor

Hi Jay

say if i got 40 panels with 330w thats 13.2kw solar panels system and i get a 9.9 or 10kw inverter, do i still quality for the 21 cents tariff feed?

Thanks

Highlighted

Switched-on

Hi Jayden

Can you please send me the website link confirming that the solar savers tariff is calculated on the inverter size instead of the panel size

Cheers

Tags (1)