Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Highlighted

Solar command "total consupmtion"

Superconductor

Does the "Total consumption" in Solar Command include off peak/J tarrif draw of my hot water service?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Solar command "total consupmtion"

Conductor

No because it's stupid. Solar Command has massive failings, this is just one of those failings

Highlighted

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Woodunn

Thank you for your post! Total consumption does indeed include the draw from your hot water service. We will not consider the separate tariffs that would be applicable, but in terms of consumption it would be included.

For your reference, the 'total consumption' display is the gross amount of electricity consumed from both the solar power system and from the grid as measured by the monitoring device. It is measured in different increments and by a different device to your electricity meter so the figures shown here may differ from those on your electricity bill or other electricity usage monitoring system. 

I hope this answers your question 🙂

Kindly, Dave

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Conductor

Wrong

In that case AGL please come and fix mine as it does not show my controlled load

More likely Dave you just don't have the right answer.

Highlighted

Superconductor

Thanks for your response Dave. 

Since I posted this question I beleive I may have found the answer.  I wrapped my own monitoring C/T around the mains feed and another around the "Controlled Load" for my hot water service and it seems that Solar command is NOT collecting consumption of this circuit.

When my HWS kicks in, it draws over 3.5kW which does not report in Solar Command as consumption.  

I noted that the C/Ts for my VPP/Solar command are placed around my solar feed and the general feed to my switchboard.  There is no reference point for the controlled load (unless this is done through the smart meter)

Regards

Ron

Superconductor

Does the total consumption figure include the household use taken direct from the Solar panels production?

Dave

Highlighted

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Dave, thanks for bearing with me on the answer here. Total consumption is the gross amount of electricity produced from both the solar power system and from the grid, as measured by the monitoring device. Hope that answers your question! Thanks, Dave.

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Semiconductor

That seems ludicrous because they are from opposite directions to the meter. Surely the amount displayed is the net amount, i.e. the difference between the energy produced by the solar array and fed back into the grid, and the energy consumed from the grid.

Highlighted

Semiconductor

No, because the household usage from the array doesn't register at the meter.

Highlighted

Powerhouse

@Woodunn 

Ron,

My understanding is that your Controlled Load Hotwater Service should never use your Solar Generation.

Controlled Load is normally set for use during the NON PEAK times (which is why it used to be called off peak) from 23:00 to 07:00 and it is controlled by your Electricity Supplier and not your Retailer (AGL).

My hotwater service only uses power during solar generation hours (it is a heat pump), uses under 1kw and hour and generally runs for about 2 hours a day to bring it up to my set temperature of 65 degrees.

We have two humans and a cat in the house (all electric with a wood heater), we have RC air conditioning but generally only use the Evaporative AC in summer as we have a dry hot climate (Mid North SA) and having been brought up with them (all we had in the Far North of SA) we can get the house down to a very nice temp.

Our average consumption is a little over 4kw a day, and this time of the year we are producing a touch under 30kw a day (that is to the grid).

I have a meter that I can monitor individual appliances  which you attach using the standard power points.

However I am only concerned with daily consumption which at 4kw a day is not bad. we have three freezers, a fridge (and two car fridges we use for drink fridges). At the moment I am monitoring the two  car fridges and they are costing us about $6.00 a month or $72.00 a year ( or 20 cents a day) or 500 Watts a day running on mains power.

Where possible we do washing, cooking when we are producing power and use induction cook-top,  microwave and a small fan forced oven.

Cheers

Neil