Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Solar Generation Reduces when Tesla Battery is full.

Conductor

I've noticed a dip in solar generation during the day and thought it may be due to cloud or temperature variations. However, today was a cloudless and mild day with constant temp when my 6.5kw panels dropped immediately from 5.2kw generation to 4.2kw at midday, when the sun was at its peak. I checked the Tesla app and this coincided with the battery reaching 100% capacity, hence the 4.2 kw was being exported at the time. 

I have a suspicion it's to do with the power grid I'm exporting to. To test the theory, I cranked up the air con and turned on the toaster. As the exported amount reduced, solar generation increased back to 5kw.

Is this a normal situation, a system limitation, or do I have a problem with the configuration of the Tesla distribution board?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Solar Generation Reduces when Tesla Battery is full.

AGL Moderator

Hi Manny,

Thank you for your enquiry!

We're looking into this issue for you at the moment, and we believe we'll be able to provide you with further information soon via PM. To help us with this investigation, could you please confirm when your inverter was installed?

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Conductor

The Solis inverter was installed Feb/March 2017. After more analysis, the dip in production (and lower than expected export) may well be an inverter issue. It displays 'limited by voltage' error message when the battery is full and is in export mode, even when it is not at peak production (occurs at later times when production is below 1 kw).

Switched-on

Dear Many if you are relying on solar power to run your entire power needs you need to be thinking past your own needs mate.  

Conductor

Conductor

Looks like the issue has been resolved. Not sure what the fix was but all good now.