Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Highlighted

Meter too high

Switched-on

Received notice that someone would come out and check if the house was suitable for an upgrade to the new digital metering system.  Time has passed and it seemed nothing had happened.  I rang about it and was told the house is not suitable because the box is over 2 metres off the ground.  The top of the box is 2.3 metres from the ground.  Where does this leave me now?  Lady I spoke to said basically "tuff".

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Meter too high

Powerhouse

Well, Active Stream, part of the AGL group get the last say in the matter, sounds strange but maybe it's to do with O,H & S, even stranger is why it was put so high in the beginning.

It also may be a blessing in disguise if you don't have solar, the digital meters have great advantages but also disadvantages, like, flick of a key on a keyboard and your disconnected from electricity if you fall into arrears, or, depending on which state your in, Load sharing where your home is switched off for a certain period during peak or emergency times.

Do a Google on something like 'advantages and disadvantages of smart meters' or similiar, everyone has a view on this topic, worlwide.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Highlighted

Re: Meter too high

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Vallyl - welcome to the Community, and apologies for the delay in response here.

The service installation requirements at the time of your assessment were that any meters over 2 metres in height were unable to be upgraded to the new digital meters. This requirement has now changed and the new meter can be installed, as long as it passes all other requirements.

We'll be sending letters out to all customers that have been affected informing that we will revisit the property when the deployment team moves back into the area. If you get in touch with our digital metering team we can place you on the priority list to ensure that you're contacted on a priority basis when the team does re-visit your area. Give the team a call on 1300 669 245.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!