Maximum solar allowed in S.A.

Dave
Superconductor
1 Reply 10946 Views

I have a 5kW solar system and now that I have a VPP battery, I would like to make use of the 'blank' north facing roof that I have left. I figure another 1 kW would fit and the existing inverter would handle it.

Will S.A.Power Networks allow this and if not, why not. My feed in tariff is pultry, so I can't understand why they would have any objection although I have been told by a technician that they won't allow it.

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
shueardm1
Conductor
1 Reply 10359 Views

Yes, SAPN will allow it as long as you don't go over 10 kWh per phase. ie, if you have a single phase house 10 kWh is your maximum. 

shueardm1
Conductor
1 Reply 10327 Views

Correction, the answer is more likely NO

SAPN adsd the capacity of the inverter in the battery to the capacity of the PV inverter/s. If over 10 per phase it is rejected. 

Bud
Conductor
1 Reply 10307 Views

Correction:

I believe your "correction" is incorrect; your first answer was correct. SAPN allow up to 10kW system capacity for single phase. This capacity is determined by the aggregate capacity of your PV modules, not your inverter. Example: 9900kW of PV modules coupled with 8.2kW inverter. SAPN will determine this is a 9900kW system. Note that even though the inverter cannot output the full 9900kW (ie limited to 8.2kW) SAPN looks at the "potential" available.

shueardm1
Conductor
0 Replies 10287 Views

This is not right. The application for installation to SAPN does not include how many panels are to be installed- only the inverters that are to be connected and the peak power of the inverters 

Then again, there are so many differening messages going around, who knows. ( but ) i have seen application approvals mentioning only inverters and not panels