Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Highlighted

How much would it cost to charge a Tesla Model 3 in Australia?

Conductor
I saw the release of the Tesla model 3 on Friday. I thought it looked amazing. I can't wait to get one. It should be about 60K AUD on road.

I'd like to see some Australian based calculations? Can anyone have a go on how they would work out what a "full tank" charge would cost in Australian dollars?
Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How much would it cost to charge a Tesla Model 3 in Australia?

Conductor

@BWSS - I see you have solar panels. I'd be keen to hear some back of the napkin calculations of how long it would take using just solar energy to charge a Tesla model 3? Have you looked at electric cars?

Powerhouse

Morning Nick, 

I believe in that advert/suggestion on Tesla that it would be about 2 years away so it's a pipe dream at this stage. I live in the real world and buy what's available today, for me I purchased about 18 months ago a Holden Volt and it was the best decision I ever made. Prior to Solar and retiring I would park in the Councils car park in the city were both charging and parking was and still is free.

After retirement and getting solar I have a 5.5KW system and the inverter is in my workshop were I can keep an eye on the stats, as well as two pieces of software from Sunny that show live feed. Solar starts as soon as there is daylight and when it's about 1.5KW I charge the car letting it charge all day, it will charge for free along with my normal usage for free at home till about 4pm, plenty of time to charge, after 4pm is starts to dwindle off a tad till 8pm when it stops.

I simply learn from the daily readings to work out my circunstances to charge and use what I generate. At 8c feed in it pays me to use what I can, not sell it back. I have diverted a little from your question to better explain how I look at solar panels as the Tesla is too far to the future and with infracture the way it is I think it will take time for Australia to welcome electric cars.

They are the future and I am happy to purchase whats available now, the problem with all electric is your constantly looking at the 'fuel gauge' which is not logical, my Volt, if it runs out of electric seamlessly switches to petrol and runs on the proverbial smell of the oily rag, a far cry from the BMW which has a scooter engine to generate electricity, these are my views. 

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Conductor
Sounds like a good solution. I hadn't considered the government park. The Volt is a good looking car and probably more realistic being both hybrid and available today. Nice set up you're running there. It would be nice having that sort of set up in retirement.

Powerhouse

I forgot to mention, 5 year warranty on the car, 8 years on prerry much all the electrics, batteries, the lot so it's piece of mind, your problem may be finding a new one or even finding one for sale as I believe only a couple of hundred came to Australia and as the USA will not manufacture the new models in tight hand drive then it's finding one. To be honest, after 8 years and it blew up I would not even care, I would have got my money back on the car but being manufactured the way it is I think it will last forever, if push came to shove worst scenario is running on the generator full time, still cheaper than running most cars today and the torque on battery or generator, well, it will impress you.

The Tesla is all electric and is state of the art but my choice again, today, the Volt, it's just one smart car. 

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Tags (2)