How does solar work to reduce my bills? Am I better to use appliances when the suns out?

hb1
Switched-on
2 Replies 6440 Views

Hi all, 

I am new to solar as I've just bought a place with panels. Can somebody please help as to how it all works? Am I best to wait till it;s sunny to use appliances? Or is the energy saved for later on? What's the best way to go? Sorry if this is a dumb question but the sales consultants that I have called can't answer me.

2 REPLIES 2
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 6399 Views

Hey hb1,

Thank you for your post!

The answer to your questions largely depends on whether you have 'Gross' or 'Net' metering. Gross metering solar systems have been set up to send all the solar power you generate to the grid, whereas Net metering solar systems are set up to send energy to your household first, before sending the excess energy back into the grid.

Unfortunately AGL have no way of knowing which of the two you have, however we do find that the majority of residences are now set up with 'Net' metering. If this is the case, then you'd be best served using appliances during the day so that you can make use the power that your panels are producing to run these, as opposed to buying power from the grid.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Brewongle
Switched-on
0 Replies 6260 Views

It depends on your energy plan, our usage is through the day when the sun is producing the energy. We therefore use the energy we produce at 7c rather than when it comes from the grid at 28c. We have not had a bill to pay for 12 mths as we are generating the maximum we can for the inverter.