Fate of new Smart Meter if switching from AGL

PJ
Conductor
2 Replies 40204 Views
Hi there,
I recently had a new MK7A2 smart meter installed. If I decide to switch electricity retailers from AGL to get a better solar FIT, does the meter remain in place or will AGL remove it and put back the old meter ?
PJ
9 REPLIES 9
BWSS
Powerhouse
1 Reply 40180 Views

Hi PJ,

I went through a similiar thing but my prime intention was to get my old meter back, why, pretty well only AGL has the tools and software to read your AGL meter, no matter what you see or hear. I am in SA and this was certainly the case, if another state it may well be a different matter. I was assured in so many many ways an AGL meter could be read by any other retailer, not the case.

To be fair FIT is but one part of the financial equation, rates, changing patterns in costs and so the list goes on, AGL's IQ certainly leads the field in reporting software, my strong suggestion is to find the right person in your state who has the power to negotiate and secure a better detail, no guarantees you will get one but if you don't ask you don't get.

I am back with AGL and this Friday coming they will put back their own meter as I will be going onto the VPP here in Adelaide on offer from AGL, I have also included the battery back up part of the deal, too hard to resist.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
PJ
Conductor
1 Reply 40175 Views
Thanks Rob,
I live in NSW.  If I switch I will ensure I get sufficient proof that whoever I switch to can read the meter.  But my main concern and reason for the original post above is that if I leave AG, what if  they decide to remove their new smart meter !   Then I would be up for perhaps $800 to have a sparky install another one, thus wiping out any savings I might make in switching Smiley Sad
You are right that the difference in FIT is not a big sweetener right now , especially given how low all the offerings are.
PJ
BWSS
Powerhouse
1 Reply 40172 Views

I should have replied to that part as well, silly me, I can't speak for AGL but I would guarantee the meter stays in place, based on past experience. When you think about it, AGL gain nothing in going out to your place and incurring the huge cost to procure your original style one and swap it over.

Depending if your original one was a very old style one, it also may be legislated that it cannot be put back anyway, that is certainly true in SA if you have the old style mechanical ones.

Like I said, AGL will verify it but I think your safe to assume what you have now your stuck with.

Do your homework as you seem to have done as to whether to shift from AGL, despite what you read it's not that easy to switch to another supplier.

This may make interesting reading, I think the author went a tad overboard but some aspects are worth reading: http://www.detoxonline.com.au/qld-nsw-and-sa-prepares-to-lock-up-meters-against-smart-meter-rollout/

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
PJ
Conductor
1 Reply 40161 Views

Thanks Rob,
AGL could make it hard for me to switch to another retailer if they either replaced the old meter or charged the new retailer a fee to access it. Given the cost involved in replacing the old meter it isn't worth their while putting up that kind of a fight to retain my custom or to act in spite should I not return.

Now the link you gave below could easily get me started and I think a new thread would be in order to cover all the claims and counter claims about the safety of the RF EME from the antenna on the smart meters which AFAIK is little different to the signal from a mobile phone handset. In the case of a smart meter, its antenna is anywhere from 10 to 1000 times further away from one's body than the mbl phone is !.
People worried about RF EME from their smart meter should also ban people on their properties with mbl phones, and ensure they go nowhere near anybody else talking on a mbl phone in public, or even anybody whose phone is in the process of receiving a call. the following disingenuous representation of 0.5watts is scaremongering "WARNING: BE PROACTIVE TO AVOID 50,000 MICROWATTS OF EMF "

@BWSS wrote:

This may make interesting reading, I think the author went a tad overboard but some aspects are worth reading: http://www.detoxonline.com.au/qld-nsw-and-sa-prepares-to-lock-up-meters-against-smart-meter-rollout/

Rob

BWSS
Powerhouse
1 Reply 40144 Views

Hi PJ,

Your first paragraph, I can't agree with it. With the ombudsman in each state who act fairly AGL would not be that dumb as to be obstructive. They will leave the smart meter where it is, it's then up to the new retailer to decipher the software code to make their own software available to work for you, I know for a fact Simply Energy say they cannot and will not sign you up as their software will not read the output fro AGL.

As for the RF EME, outside, on your meter box is small black antenna used to transmit the data from your meter to AGL every 30 minutes, big deal, your more likely to die from falling out of a plane in mid flight.

Base your decision on a financial one, after all that is how you started here, if the new FIT is huge and is not a 12 month wonder then go for it.

I do find it easier and less stressful than switching retailers.

Rob

PJ
Conductor
1 Reply 40140 Views

@BWSS wrote:

As for the RF EME, outside, on your meter box is small black antenna used to transmit the data from your meter to AGL every 30 minutes, big deal, your more likely to die from falling out of a plane in mid flight.

Hi Rob, I totally agree with you.  I thought when you posted that link you were advocating for its contents which theorises that RF EME from the smart meters are bad for our health.  I won't spend time trying to explain why there is no evidence for such a theory because it appears you are already convinced the theory has little merit and we are thus on the same page.

PJ

BWSS
Powerhouse
0 Replies 40137 Views

Hi PJ,

What I should have done is copy/pasted the point I thought was of most interest to you, as below, were on the same page, I just did not make ir clear enough.

'

• Q Can I change back to an older style meter if I don’t like the digital meter?
    Unfortunately not. Meters cannot be changed after they have been replaced by a digital meter.'

CatherineG
Retired AGL Moderator
1 Reply 40259 Views

Hi @PJ

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community! 

If you chose to transfer away from AGL, your current digital meter will remain as is. 

Thanks! 

PJ
Conductor
0 Replies 39906 Views

Many thanks Catherine.

regards

PJ