Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Camping solar set ups

Switched-on

We have recently purchased a camper trailer and i am interested in any advice on how to set up a solar system for sustainable power. ie brands, considerations etc.

we will probably just run some basic camping appliances such as fridges and chargers for devices.

thoughts anyone?

d

1 REPLY 1

Re: Camping solar set ups

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @TingleTree. Great idea with going solar for your camper trailer; much better than a noisy generator!

For your solar camping set up you will need portable panels, a solar regulator and a deep-cycle battery. You will also need an inverter to power your fridge, chargers, and other appliances that run on 240V.

There are three types of portable panels - mono-crystalline, poly-crystalline and thin film amorphous. In terms of portability, the thin film amorphous panels are the best option as they can be rolled or folded for storage, however they are more expensive and have restricted maximum outputs compared to the rigid panels. Mono-crystalline panels are more expensive than poly-crystalline, but are a more worthwhile investment due to their better efficiency.

As you are running a fridge in your set up, you will need a panel with a rating of 100W or greater, depending on the draw of the fridge and the additional appliances. You can combine this with a 100amp deep-cycle battery. Marsol foldable panels are a great mono-crystalline panel option, and Redarc are great for the amorphous style panels.

Will be happy to help if you have any further queries. Happy camping!

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!