Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

AGL battery storage offer

Powerhouse

The below is from the Advertiser in SA and I do know reporters to not always get it right, and it does conflict a little as to what is on the AGL website, it shows a glimpse into the future, so it makes interesting reading.

The Community should read this carefully and the one on the AGL website to form an educated opinion. My concerns would be, yes, heavily subsidises in our favour but a few perhaps catches like you don't actually have 100% control of what you have purchased and what happens if you decide to leave AGL in favour of another retailer.!! So, read carefully, ask lots of questions, look at any contract put forward and then make a decision.

AGL to install solar batteries on 1000 homes to provide back-up electricity during high demand

Renato Castello, The Advertiser
August 5, 2016 4:43pm

A NETWORK of 1000 solar-powered batteries, described as the largest of its type in the world, will be installed across Adelaide in what has been described as a “game changer” for energy supply.

AGL will this year begin installing 1000 batteries to solar customers in a $20 million public-private investment to create a “virtual power plant” enabling excess solar energy to be stored in batteries that would otherwise be fed into the grid.

The customer will be able to draw upon the power to reduce their power costs but AGL will also have the ability to direct power from the battery to the customer’s home or into the grid during critical events such as peak demand resulting from severe weather.

It is expected that customers, who will pay about $3500 each for the heavily subsidised batteries, will save up to $500 on their annual electricity costs.

The system when fully loaded has the capacity of 7MWh of energy, with an output equivalent to a 5 MW solar peaking plant, which can be directed back into the grid.

AGL CEO and managing director Andy Vesey said the “solar virtual power plant” was the first of its kind in helping customers manage their energy bills and contribute to grid stability.

“Not only will customers get the maximum use of solar on their rooves, but they will also help provide reliability and security to the grid,” he said.

“This is reaching to a future that South Australia is working hard to bring together.

“We also hope the project can demonstrate how relationships between electricity networks,

retailers, consumers and the market operator can help create stability in a renewable energy

future.”

The offer is available to AGL solar customers who own their own home and generate more electricity than they use.

Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis, who only last month criticised AGL for hiking up power prices, lauded AGL’s investment and called on other energy retailers to follow suit.

“This is the equivalent of rainwater tanks for electricity, this is giving more control back to South Austrlaian consumers to manage their own demand,” he said.

“It gives South Australian households to take back control of their energy use and importantly at times of high demand.

“I have been a critic of energy providers in the past...but this is a great announcement...I think it’s a great step forward.”

Clean Energy Council chief executive Kane Thornton said the power plant should start to change the way people think about electricity – and pave the way for more renewable energy across the country.

“What we are seeing is a glimpse of the future as it comes into view over the horizon. This project will use energy sourced from homes and businesses with solar and storage technology to supply power to the network during peak periods when it is most needed,” Mr Thornton said.

“It is still early days for energy storage technology in Australia, but the idea that we can run a modern society with an affordable, zero-emission power system is gradually becoming reality.

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
7 REPLIES 7

Re: AGL battery storage offer

Retired AGL Moderator

Just to confirm/clarify on the above, customers do need to remain with AGL whilst participating in the Virtual Power Plant program, and the terms of the agreement is 5 years. After this agreement has ended customers can choose to exit.

If you head to the Virtual Power Plant page on our website you can see a whole list of FAQs towards the bottom that should be able to clear up any questions that you may have in regards to the program.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Powerhouse

Well that's good news then Jeremy, at least people go in with their eyes wide open, thanks for the clarification. The offer from SAPN here in Adelaide was sort of much the same but heavily restricted to suburb/street but on the bright side no lock in contract, mine out of interest was ok for suburb, not ok for street, luck of the draw!!  

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Switched-on

Helpful, thanks! 

Retired AGL Moderator

Let us know if you have any questions on the program @Chloe, we'll be happy to help.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Superconductor

Are there any updates on announcing the new batttery technology?  

AGL Moderator

Hey Buckster,

Welcome to the Community!

Not just yet we're sorry to say. However, we are working hard to finalise everything we needed before making our next announcement. Stay tuned!

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Superconductor

I wouldnt want my battery not being controlled by myself at all!! 

What if I found another provider, what happens with battery?