Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Re: AGL Expert events - energy storage technology

AGL Expert

@scuzzi absolutely, we have bundles ranging from 3kW - 5kW system sizes.

Our medium (7.2kWh) battery will support 3kW - 4.5kW, while our large (11.6kWh) and extra large (19.4kWh) batteries will support 4.5kW - 5kW. If you would like to know more, please feel free to email social@agl.com.au and we can set up a time to discuss the best fit for you.

Re: AGL Expert events - energy storage technology

AGL Expert

i've had a look at the sunverge website and it talks about utilities sending power from my battery to the grid when electricity prices are high. is this something you guys are going to do if I buy one of these?

@James

That is absolutely possible and it is something we are exploring. However we would like to assure you that the energy in  your battery is yours and we will only use that energy with your consent and for fair compensation.

AGL Expert events - energy storage technology - community storage - microgrids

Switched-on

Is AGL working on building microgrids and would they assist and support community ownership of the storage systems required?

Re: Battery Storage

AGL Expert

@Roy_Elton   The inverter in the Sunverge units has limits on the PV capacity it can be connected to.  10 kWp would be bigger than could be connected to a single Sunverge unit.  However, being this big, your PV system is likely 3 phase?  In this case, we could look at dividing your array across two or three battery units and matching your loads with the batteries.  This can get a bit complex, and involve some cost, but it does give you the benefit of utilising your available capacity.  

I hope this gives you some food for thought.

Battery Storage & Grid Backup

Switched-on

We currently have a 3Kw solar PV system with a 4 Kw inverter. At some point, we would like to add battery storage. However, since we are not heavy power users, battery storage would not result in much extra savings on our quarterly bill. This is because almost 50% of our billis the supply charge. Even if our consumption is zero we still have to pay about $120. To me this is quite a large amount for the privilege of grid back-up for a solar PV plus battery storage system. Theanswer is to go completely off grid even if this necessitates the purchase of a generator for back-up. I believe this is where we are heading in the future and the rate of reduction in the cost of battery technology may hake the need for a back-up generator less likely. In the meantime, energy companies such as AGL should look at ways to retain customers by offering reductions in the cost of accessing the grid & increasing solar buyback rates instead of reducing them as happened on our last bill ( 8c/kw reduced to 5.1c/kw). This was done without any prior consultation or warning.

I would appreciate your comments on all of the foregoing.

Yabber.

Highlighted

Re: AGL Expert events - energy storage technology - community storage - microgrids

AGL Expert

Is AGL working on building microgrids and would they assist and support community ownership of the storage systems required?

@scuzzi

AGL operates a number of Microgrids in Australia and is keen to work on more. We are absolutely open to all kinds of ownership models and would be keen to work help communities establish microgrids, renewable generation or storage. Please drop us a line at social@agl.com.au  if you'd like to discuss a specific project or idea. 

Switched-on

Would this apply for a 3phase SMA 5Kw inverter?

Re: Battery Storage & Grid Backup

AGL Expert

@Yabber

Thank you for your comments, they are well noted. Right now energy storage is not the best fit for all households, however we'd love an opportunity to discuss more in depth. Please feel free to email social@agl.com.au and we can schedule a time.

AGL Expert

@Michael_Cunha  I'm not 100% sure I understand your question.  Are you referring to the previous question about three phase systems? 

If you are, then we can talk to you about how one or more batteries could be integrated into your existing system.  Please note that our batteries all include an integrated inverter which replaces an existing inverter.  

If not, can you please be a litle more specific? Again, we are happy to take this off line and arrange a time for one of our team to talk to you about your needs.