Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Employee

Good night everyone!

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

Semiconductor

Maybe something like... I'm in jungles of the Amazon with no idea a cyclone is approaching my house. But my Ninja Sphere home automation device (or IFTTT) knows the storm is coming and so tells the battery to fully charge itself and don't allow any devices to draw power... in case of blackout. There are heaps of scenarios that could be imagined... mostly related to weather conditions I suppose.

AGL Employee

@Volts wrote:

Maybe something like... I'm in jungles of the Amazon with no idea a cyclone is approaching my house. But my Ninja Sphere home automation device (or IFTTT) knows the storm is coming and so tells the battery to fully charge itself and don't allow any devices to draw power... in case of blackout. There are heaps of scenarios that could be imagined... mostly related to weather conditions I suppose.

Love it @Volts, we will add that to the list of "use cases".  Yes weather is an important factor in energy management.  Our energy traders already do that for the big stuff, and there is no reason we cant do it for everyone one day.  rgds EZ

AGL Employee

@James wrote:

Will AGL be able to control what the battery does (e.g. when it charges, discharges etc) or is it entirely in my control?

Hey @James, just noticed that we did not directly answer your question.  So here goes, excuse the long post.

Our objective is to give you control over your own energy, but we have to ensure safety and warranty requirements.

Safety first:  Batteries are complex devices and they can store a lot of energy when full, so at the lowest level of the Battery Management System we wouldnt want people messing with the controls. But that would be like hacking into the BIOs of your computer or the engine management system of your car, dangerous and beyond the skills of most people.  Moreover, over stressing the battery cells can lead to early failure of the entire system.

However, at the system level we'd like to give you options.  Battery control can be very simple, or very complex, or anywhere in between.  It is a a bit like the thermostat on your air conditioner.  You could just turn it on and off, or you could set it to a specific temperature, or you could get sophisticated with home automation and get it to start early on an expected hot day so that your house is pre-cooled and you get comfort at minimum cost.

So with the battery you could set a simple profile like "charge at off-peak" or "charge during the day from PV" or "stay near full in case there's a blackout" or "shave peak demand".  The benefits of these different strategies will depend on your load profile and what you are paying for energy.  Alternatively, in the future we could manage the battery hour by hour depending on market energy rates or weather conditions.

The future is pretty exciting for managing your own energy.  Some customers will want to take active control, others just wantt to know its being managed for them.  We aim to give you those options.

Regards Z