Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

Alumni

**UPDATE: 11th August, 2016: Please note this product is no longer available.**

We've just announced our inaugural technology partnership within the battery technology world. AGL is pleased to be partnering with leading international consumer electronics manufacturer AUO to bring the Power Legato battery to the market, as a core part of our Power Advantage offer.



Before posting, make sure you are familiar with our community guidelines.

And be sure to give a like when you see a helpful post from a user!

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Expert

@Gus wrote:
Thanks for replying. Could you please confirm how long is the installation warranty on the battery? I know solar is 5 year? Also, does AGL will do a site inspection prior signing the agreement?

@Gus

 

AGL will be offering up to 10years battery performance warranty. Installations will require a site inspection we will nneed to check the condition of an existing Solar PV system and the location for the battery.

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Employee

@James wrote:

Do I have to take up the backup capability (as I assume a new distribution panel adds cost) or can I just use the battery to use more of my solar?


Hi @James, this is a configuration choice.  You will have several circuits on your home with different rooms and electrical loads attached.  If you want back up you could chose to back up particular circuits, but that is your choice.  As you say a new distribution panle adds cost, but that can be added into the financing of the install.

 

rgds EZ

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Expert

@md wrote:
When will agl be offering batteries for sale. What size are they. I have a 25m pool that uses a lot of power. Presently have a 10kw solar panel system installed. What size battery would I need so I wouldn't need to draw on the grid
@md
AGL's first battery will be 7.2kWh. We will have larger systems available soon. Sizing your battery will depend on your daily consumption and daily solar production. AGL will be able to help you size your battery and minimise your grid power purchases.

 

 

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Employee

@elynchbell wrote:

@md wrote:
When will agl be offering batteries for sale. What size are they. I have a 25m pool that uses a lot of power. Presently have a 10kw solar panel system installed. What size battery would I need so I wouldn't need to draw on the grid
@md
AGL's first battery will be 7.2kWh. We will have larger systems available soon. Sizing your battery will depend on your daily consumption and daily solar production. AGL will be able to help you size your battery and minimise your grid power purchases.

 

 


@Hey @md, if you have your pool pump running in the day then it may already be drawing from your solar production.  10kW is quite a large system. You could look at analyzing your daily production and consumption with our AGL Solar Command product to see how much excess PV production you have that could be stored in a battery.   rgds EZ

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Expert

@Volts wrote:

Please explain how/if the batteries can be used to provide off grid power to my house on a routine basis but, at the same time, be an effective backup power source (like a UPS) in case of blackout. I would have thought that, if blackout happened at a time when battery was low, it wouldn't provide any useful emergency backup.


@Volts

 

You are correct, you can choose how you want to use your battery, to minimise your consumption, as a backup or as a combination of both. There are a couple of options - if you see bad weather forecast you can switch your battery into full backup mode, even charge it from the grid if there isn't much sun. This will provide you with security if a storm knocks out power line. Alternatyively you  can configure the battery to maintain a reserve so you always have some level of backup available. If the power is our then you will always be able to use solar power for your backed up appliances and charge the battery from the sun. 

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Employee

@limydoo wrote:

We've just announced our inaugural technology partnership within the battery technology world. AGL is pleased to be partnering with leading international consumer electronics manufacturer AUO to bring the Power Legato battery to the market, as a core part of our Power Advantage offer.

 

Here's a picture of the system:

 

AUO_webop.jpg


That is a really pretty battery!  One of our installers said hewanted to put it on his deck next to the BBQ so he could show it off to his freinds. We don't recommend that, but you can understand the sentiment.  

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

Semiconductor

Thanks elynchbell. Also interested in remote management of the battery - eg smartphone or web interface when away from home... and whether or not it will be able to interface with any of the increasingly available home automation hubs/technologies.

Highlighted

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

Switched-on

Will AGL be able to control what the battery does (e.g. when it charges, discharges etc) or is it entirely in my control?

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Employee

@Volts wrote:

Thanks elynchbell. Also interested in remote management of the battery - eg smartphone or web interface when away from home... and whether or not it will be able to interface with any of the increasingly available home automation hubs/technologies.


Hi @Volts,  watch this space!  We'll be delivering a level of remote management from the start and then extending that over time. That's the beuty of digital.   What kind of things would you like to be able to do in terms of home automation?