Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

dax
Switched-on
My wife and I live in Sydney in a house with 3 kids. What size solar and battery system is best for us and what's the rough cost?

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

AGL Expert

@md wrote:
I have a 10kw system. Due to 25m pool, I use a lot of electricity. What it generates is fed into the grid at the momoment, and I just draw from the grid. I'm part of that nsw government subsidy, which ends at the end of next year. What size battery would I need and how soon do you anticipate they will be available for sale

@md

10kW is a large PV system system size but sizing you battery has more to do with the size of your exports to the grid. Your pool pump potentially consumes a lot of your solar power already. AGL can help advise you on the ideal storage system size.  You can also try calculating your average daily export from your power bill. dDvide your total export by the number of days int he billing period.

Rest assured that AGL will be able to supply you with a storage system suitable for your needs so you don't loose out next year when you loose your Feed-In Tarriff.

Gus
Semiconductor
Thanks for replying. Could you please confirm how long is the installation warranty on the battery? I know solar is 5 year? Also, does AGL will do a site inspection prior signing the agreement?

md
Switched-on
When will agl be offering batteries for sale. What size are they. I have a 25m pool that uses a lot of power. Presently have a 10kw solar panel system installed. What size battery would I need so I wouldn't need to draw on the grid

Switched-on

We have a 3 Kwh system, and sell our excess to the grid at the current (and generous) 52 cents/kwh rate.  What advantages - financial and/or otherwise would there be to add batteries to our system?

Switched-on

What benefits does this have over the Powerwall (by Elon Musk)?

Are there more than 1 size of battery (which is limited to a PV charge of only 4.5kwh)?

Can we add more than 1 battery?

How long till prices are known? When does rollout start?

AGL Expert

@dax wrote:
My wife and I live in Sydney in a house with 3 kids. What size solar and battery system is best for us and what's the rough cost?

@dax

A great question, sizing your system depends on your needs, a large family will consume a lot of power but there are other factors such as the efficiency of your house and your appliances. Size of storage will depend on how many people are home during the day. A young family with kids at home during the day might benefit less from storage than a family that leaves the house empty all day. 

A solar system is a great way to reduce energy costs during the day and a storage system helps extend those  savings into the evening.

Give us a call on 1300 377 118 to discuss optiond for solar and we'll be in touch about storage if you sign up at http://aglsolar.com.au/energystorage/

AGL Expert

@Joyce wrote:

We have a 3 Kwh system, and sell our excess to the grid at the current (and generous) 52 cents/kwh rate.  What advantages - financial and/or otherwise would there be to add batteries to our system?

@Joyce

As long as you have a feed-in tarriff that is higher than the cost of buying power from the grid then storage isn't for you. When you loose your feed in tarriff then storage will become useful. Instead of receiving 6 cents/kWh or less you can avoid the cosyt of buying power at whatever your tarriff cost is. 

We'd love to isntall a battery for you when your feed-in-tarriff runs out.

AGL Expert

@AndrewD wrote:

What benefits does this have over the Powerwall (by Elon Musk)?

Are there more than 1 size of battery (which is limited to a PV charge of only 4.5kwh)?

Can we add more than 1 battery?

How long till prices are known? When does rollout start?

@AndrewD

The Tesla powerwall is only cpable of charging or discharging at 2kW. Our modelling shows that is almost impossible to fully charge the powerwall under Australian conditions. AGL's first batteery can charge at up to 4.5kW which means there will be no problems fully charging the battery in most locations. the limitation on this first battery will be 7.2kWh, however we will have large capacity batteries later in the yeas as well as batteries suitable for solar systems over 4.5kW in size.

Highlighted

Switched-on

Do I have to take up the backup capability (as I assume a new distribution panel adds cost) or can I just use the battery to use more of my solar?