Renewables and Energy Technology

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

Wind turbines, solar panels, home battery storage - if it's discussion about renewable energy you're after, you'll find it here.

(7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

Alumni

*EDIT: Thanks everyone for your participation, that’s all for tonight! Please keep the discussion going and questions coming – the guys will be happy to answer any additional questions over the coming days.

Hi everyone! As seen on ABC’s 7.30 Report tonight, starting 8.00pm EST our storage technology experts @elynchbell and @El_Zorro will be making themselves available to discuss AGL energy storage solutions with you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Please remember to stay on-topic; if you have any questions unrelated to energy storage then please start a new topic in the appropriate board. Remember to adhere to the community guidelines - this discussion will be monitored by the mod team 🙂

We look forward to an engaging discussion!

~Limydoo

Before posting, make sure you are familiar with our community guidelines.

And be sure to give a like when you see a helpful post from a user!
33 REPLIES 33

Battery cost

Gus
Semiconductor
Hi there,

I am interested in installing a solar system with battery. I received a quotation for a 4.5kW system. How big is the battery I should buy and how much it cost?

Regards,
Gus

Re: Battery cost

AGL Expert

@Gus wrote:
Hi there,

I am interested in installing a solar system with battery. I received a quotation for a 4.5kW system. How big is the battery I should buy and how much it cost?

Regards,
Gus

@Gus

4.5kW of solar is a perfect system size for AGL's PowerAdvantage Battery. It will fully charge the 7.2kWh battery pack. If you are signed up to the AGL Power Advantage club we will be in touch to discuss price soon.

Re: Battery cost

AGL Employee

Hey @Gus, here is the link the the club: http://aglsolar.com.au/energystorage/

Just in case you dont have it already.

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

Switched-on

Hi,

I was wondering if the batteries can be stored outside and do they need to be undercover?

Highlighted

Re: (7.30 REPORT): AskNewEnergy - Energy Storage Solutions (8.00pm - 8.30pm EST)

Gus
Semiconductor
Thanks for replying, I'm already signed up.

md
Switched-on
I have a 10kw system. Due to 25m pool, I use a lot of electricity. What it generates is fed into the grid at the momoment, and I just draw from the grid. I'm part of that nsw government subsidy, which ends at the end of next year. What size battery would I need and how soon do you anticipate they will be available for sale

AGL Expert

@steve wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if the batteries can be stored outside and do they need to be undercover?

@steve

Most battery systems, including the ones supplied by AGL are designed to installed indoors. The cooling required to mount a battery outdoors will decrease the battery's efficiency. 

Semiconductor

Please explain how/if the batteries can be used to provide off grid power to my house on a routine basis but, at the same time, be an effective backup power source (like a UPS) in case of blackout. I would have thought that, if blackout happened at a time when battery was low, it wouldn't provide any useful emergency backup.

AGL Employee

Hi @Steve,

You asked if the battery could go outdoors.

Our initial battery offering need to go indoors.  We have a couple of units in the pipelline that can be stored outside.  Depending on how our  testing goes we hope to offer later this year.   As you can imagine, a unit that goes outside needs to be much more secure to keep the weather and bugs out. So that can add to cost compared to an indoor unit.  Typically you will put it in the garage.

I'll post a picture in a minute.

Regards