VPP Installation - Fire hazard

Dave
Superconductor
1 Reply 18928 Views

Some time after battery install, AGL called to add a DC Isolator to our system. It is branded "Salzer".

I have just learned that they are known to cause fires and have been recalled.

What is the best way for me to get AGL to remove this switch immediately please? I realise that Christmas is upon us, but feel something should be done immediately.

I have sent an email to SA VPP Customer Relationship Manager New energy services, but posted here as well in the hope that AGL will address this immediately.

Dave

8 REPLIES 8
BWSS
Powerhouse
1 Reply 18923 Views

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update on your plight, it's always good to know what goes on with some VPP installs.

I have to say that mine has been completely trouble free, I go away and are also at home a lot and feel confident all will be well at all times.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Dave
Superconductor
1 Reply 18904 Views

Update:-

Rob, my sytstem has also been trouble free. This is a separate issue and so far the recalled DC Isolator has performed OK.

AGL contacted me very promptly. After establishing that I do have the recalled Isolator, they talked me through shutting it down which was easy. The DC Isolator will be replaced very early in the New Year & until then my battery won't be operational. AGL will recompense me for any loss incurred through non use of the battery.

Thanks AGL, a most satisfactory outcome.

Dave

Samjy
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 18901 Views

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your post. We are glad you have found things to be a satisfactory outcome to date.

As per our discussion with you, the manufacturer has issued a recall of these products, and we are currently working through a program of works to call customers with these isolators installed, and to arrange for their replacement. In your installation, the isolator is being used for low voltage, low current internal control signal, and is quite different to the high voltage, high current solar PV application where these units have been found to fail in a small number of instances.

AGL is taking this safety risk very seriously, and is working with the manufacturer, Electrical Safety Office and the ACCC to carry out the recall for all our affected customers.

We’ll be in contact with you shortly to discuss a date for replacing the isolator.

Cheers,

Samjy

Dave
Superconductor
1 Reply 18895 Views

Thanks Samjy,

This morning AGL phoned to advise that the DC Isolator could be turned back on so the battery could resume normal function.

It is now about 4 hours since I turned it on and I suspect the battery has not activated. The usual buzzing sound has not resumed.

I have tried to contact

SA VPP Customer Relationship Manager – New Energy Services

but it appears no one is on deck until 27th Dec

Is there anyone else I can contact?

Dave

Samjy
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 18892 Views

Thanks for your message Dave. We are investigating and will get in contact with you as soon as possible. The team will contact you directly or I’ll provide an update here. 

Cheers, 

Samjy

Dave
Superconductor
1 Reply 18857 Views

AGL contacted me on 27/12 to talk me through a process to re-activate the battery. Part of this included turning the "battery inverter main switch" in the switch box off and then on. Whilst re-activation was successful, turning the battery inverter main switch off also turned off all power supply to the house and shut down my SMA solar inverter. I don't think this should have happened.

Since the battery has re-activated, we are drawing more from the grid than previously and the charge percentage drops a fair bit within an hour for no apparent reason. For example, yesterday at 4.55pm battery charge was 58%. One hour later it was 29% despite no large power use items being used. AGL Command verifies this.

Dave

Samjy
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 18855 Views

Hi Dave, 

I gather you’ve now spoken with your Customer Relationship Manager who is investigating the points you’ve raised in your post and will be in further contact with you.

Cheers!

Samjy

Dave
Superconductor
0 Replies 18836 Views

AGL contacted me promptly and made changes that resulted in the battery working well again. The DC Isolator and fuse switch issue will be sorted out the first week in January.

Dave