Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Highlighted

locked out of electricity box

Switched-on

Our strata has locked us out of the electricity box. If we want to read our meter or check if our safety switch is off we must first engage a qualified electrician. It also means that if we have an emergency situation like electrocution we are not able to help the victim by turning off the power. Can anyone help? I have been to fair trading NSW and they say its a matter for the EC. But they are on the side of the strata.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: locked out of electricity box

Alumni

Hi @Rose-ann

If it's definitely the strata that's locked you out of the electricity box, you will need to contact the Strata Manager to obtain access.

Happy to help with further info where we can.

Cheers,

Lauren  

If I've helped at all, a Kudos would be appreciated 🙂
Highlighted

Switched-on

That's the problem it was strata that put the lock on and they won't give anyone who is not an electrician the key. I have written them countless emails about our rights and about emergency procedures such as electrocution but they are not budging. They won't even give my plumber the key and he has to crawl under my floor where all my electrics are (its an old building) and the space is very small and it is dangerous if the main are still on.

Highlighted

Alumni

Hi again,

We've had a bit of a look into this, and according to the info on EWONs website, the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal is the place to go if you are having problems with strata. They can be contacted on 1300 006 228. 

Hope that helps! 

Lauren 

If I've helped at all, a Kudos would be appreciated 🙂