Where does it say if my meter reading is being updated from a digital meter?

Quaetapo
Semiconductor
1 Reply 9261 Views

Hi

I think I've got a digital meter, but I'm not sure. It would be helpful if my account told me somewhere that the meter readings are being updated from a digital meter, so there is no need to provide a manual read.

I'm not sure if I need to take manual readings, or if this is not necessary because I already have a digital meter and this is dynamically updating my account.

7 REPLIES 7
David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 9258 Views

Hi @Quaetapo regardless of which type of meter you have,  you are not required to make manual readings unless you wish to.

You might find the identification guide on this page helpful to determining what type of meter you have.

You will find that the "Meter no." on your bill matches up with the number on your meter.  

Quaetapo
Semiconductor
1 Reply 9253 Views

Hi @David_AGL ,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

The reason I'd like to know if I have a digital meter, instead of a manual meter, is to be confident that the reading being presented in my bill is an actual reading, not an estimate.

If it's an estimate, I can make sure I submit manual readings. If it's digital/smart, then I'm assuming I don't need to provide a reading to be confident of accuracy.

When I look at the information provided, for example, on the app, it is saying 'bill projection', but doesn't say if my meter is a smart meter. The link you sent to identify my type of meter also isn't completely clear. For example, is the 'digital display meter' a smart meter, or is it just the 'digital meter' that is smart? Why doesn't it say, with the meter detail, that it is a smart meter?

It would be very helpful if my account and the supporting information was clear on this.

Thanks

Quaetapo

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
1 Reply 9241 Views

Hi again @Quaetapo , your bill will always tell you whether it's estimated or actual. Look under "Read type" in the "Your electricity supply details" section. If any portion of the usage period covered by the bill contained estimated usage, the read type will display as "Estimated". If we received actual reads, either from your local distributor or because you have a smart meter, it will display as "Actual". Your read type (estimated or actual) will also be prominently displayed in the new eBill summary (the email we send you to announce a bill).

If you'd still like confirmation of what type of meter you actually have, I recommend getting in touch with customer service. Either log in to your account and click "Message Us", or get in touch by phone or web chat.

Quaetapo
Semiconductor
1 Reply 9180 Views

Hi David

Wouldn't it be nice if it just simply 'informed' you that the bill was calculated from a smart meter. I really don't understand why this is so difficult.

Thanks

Quaetapo

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 9065 Views

If you have a smart meter you Bill will state a single day when your next meter read will be.

If you have a manually read meter the bill will state that you meter will be read between two dates.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Quaetapo
Semiconductor
1 Reply 8927 Views

Thanks for clarifying Neil.

While I'll find this useful, it is a little obscure as to why it can't be a simple, clear, message that the reading was obtained by a smart reader.

At least I now know what to look out for.

Ellen1
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 8923 Views

Hi Quaetapo, 

I will provide that feedback to our billing team for future reviews, I am glad we have been able to clear this up a bit for you. 

Thank you 

Ellen