Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Upgraded gas meter questions

Switched-on

Hi

i need to get my gas meter upgraded for a pool heater, does anyone know how long the process takes and is there a cost.  I have been told that because our gas usage will increase the meter will be changed over for free?

does anyone know?

thanks,

David.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Upgraded gas meter questions

Powerhouse

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure whether the moderators work here on weekends but when they spot this post they will probably ask you to Private Message (PN) them to ascertain your account number etc. so that can better respond to your query.

I'll keep an eye on this post as I'm not sure why you you need an upgrade, perhaps you need a higher gas flow to accommodate the pool heater?

I did do a Google on 'Application for Residential Gas.' and the third one down shows the .pdf application form you may need, it asks some questions that you may or may not know like:

4. Supply site specifics.
a. Plumber/installer. Installations and Additions/Alterations only.

To ensure the correct meter is provisioned, please provide the hourly and total Megajoule (MJ) load. Without this information, your application cannot be processed.

Appliance
Qty
Hourly
rate (MJ)
New or existing appliance?
Appliance
Qty
Hourly
rate (MJ)
Other appliances
(please list)
Qty
Hourly
rate (MJ)
1. Cont. flow water heater
6. Central heater
11. Pool/spa heater*
2. Storage water heater
7. BBQ
12. Solar gas boosted hot water
3. Portable heater
8. Cooktop/cooker
4. Flued heater
9. Climate control
5. Gas log fire
10. Wall oven
Total (MJ) hourly rate

I can remember pumping my pool water onto the roof of my garage and that flowed back into the pool, kept the water warm along with the pool blanket and also kept the garage cool, strange the things you remember from donkey's years ago!

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Switched-on

Thanks for your reply Rob, much appreciated.

You are correct, I am being told I do need a higher gas flow and that is the reason for the upgrade.

cheers.

Powerhouse

Morning Dave,

Cost wise, I imagine a contractor will do the job and that you will ask for several quotes and how each contractor will attach the job, I can recall a post here where one customer got 3 quotes and they were all miles apart and interstingly, all three interpreted the rules differently, so, buyer beware, it's not so much am AGL thing as a customer/contractor thing.

When I looked to replace my hot water service I wanted continuous flow but settled for a storage system as the larger piping cost alone was an expensive excercise, good luck in your enquiries.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Dave358. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community. We would be happy to help out, we just need a few extra details from you. If you are a current AGL customer, can you please send us a private message with your account details. Otherwise if you are not an AGL customer, please provide us with your address so we can obtain specific information for your area. 

Thanks

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Dave358

Thanks for your details. Our New Connections team has confirmed to arrange for your meter to be upgraded you will need to contact AGL New Connections on 1800 680 430 or you can submit an online application. You will need to provide AGL with the following details: 

- Plumber's contact details 

- Plumber's license number 

- COC (Certificate of Compliance) 

- MJ (megajoule) load 

- Confirmation of gas appliances 

- Access information

In your distribution region the normal cost for a meter upgrade is $114.05 and the completion time frame is 10 business days. This is from the date that the service order is accepted by the gas distribution company. 

Hope this helps, if you need anything further please let us know. 

Thanks 

Switched-on

Hi, I'd also like to upgrade my meter, can you advise the process as the response is a couple of years old?

AGL Moderator

Hi MattRaz,

The process is still very much the same!

You can lodge your application online from this page.

Cheers,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.