Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Unsafe wiring?

gvv
Conductor

An AGL technician stopped by yesterday to install a new digital meter. I saw him as he was going back to his van. He told me that he can not install the meter because the wiring is old and unsafe. "It has ceramic fuses" he said. And "... the company doesn't have safety procedures to work on this type of wiring". And "... a rubber mat might be needed".

Can anyone explain what the problem could be? See photo below. (Meter numbers are removed from the picture.) The technician told me that he took a picture of the fuses for the record, but didn't seem to open or touch anything inside. Another AGL person who called me today could not explain what exactly should be fixed.

MeterBoard.jpgMeter board

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Unsafe wiring?

AGL Moderator
AGL Moderator

Hi gvv, 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! 

It is very concerning to hear about meters and wiring being unsafe. The best thing to do here is to contact your distributors who are the company that provides retailers with meter readings and organises meter removals and installations. 

For more information regarding meter installations please refer to the link here.

Please contact us via private message with your account details if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Le

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Semiconductor

I had my smart meter installed two days ago by AGL / Formway group. The technician removed old meter, same as yours, and installed the new smart meter, I didn't even know he was working on it as I slept through it. At about 1 pm another technician arrived to audit the work of the previous tech and complete the process. I am not sure if your process will be the same or not as I purchased my solar system through Energy Storage Direct and they set up everything for me. The only thing I had to do was print off the Technicians certification certificate and leave it in the meter box. 

This morning I received an email from AGL which gave me the link to go to Electricity and Solar data usage. It's not totally set up yet however I can see that it won't be much longer before the process is completely finalized. There's also an app I can download for my Android and/or IPHONE https://www.agl.com.au/help/managing-my-account/agl-energy-app. 

So far I am very happy with the process, no complaints whatsoever!!

gvv
Conductor

Hi Le,

Thanks for responding. I sent a private request via your feedback form https://www.agl.com.au/contact-us/feedback a couple of weeks ago, but received no response whatsoever. Do you monitor the feedback requests? What's the expected wait time on those?

Thanks.

gvv
Conductor

I haven't received a satisfactory response. It turns out the technician reported seeing ceramic fuses on the meter board. Look at the picture: there is no ceramic fuses, they were replaced with circuit breakers over a decade ago. The technician is either incompetent or just lazy. Complete fail on the part of AGL. I'm switching to a different energy retailer.

AGL Moderator

Hi gvv,

Thank you for providing this update.

After hearing the explanation you've been provided, I can absolutely appreciate where your frustrations stem from. To clarify, the installer that attended your property was not an AGL employee, nor are they an AGL contractor so there is a very real possibility that should you change retailers, that you'll still be dealing with the same company as far your your meter upgrade goes.

I'm confident that I can get some traction on this issue for you, so please send me a private message if you'd like to chat further.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

gvv
Conductor

The problem was resolved by switching to EnergyAustralia. They sent a contractor from Vector AMS who replaced the meters without any questions or complaints. They know what they are doing as opposed to the guy sent by AGL from Active Stream Metering, I guess.