Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Smart meter not so smart (drawing when all electricity is off)

Switched-on

I just joined AGL 2 weeks ago, and aside from 4 separate issues, all is good now 😄  My AGL IQ shows that I'm drawing 10 kWh a day from the grid but my house is completely empty and i've not moved in yet, I've shut off all power points and other supply to hot water, air-con, pool etc.  The usage is almost exactly the same each day, +/- less than 1kWh.  Is my meter faulty?  AGL online chat said they have "reset the meter and I need to wait 72hrs before checking back".  Any advice?  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Smart meter not so smart (drawing when all electricity is off)

AGL Moderator

Hi NickSETo,

Thanks for getting in touch!

What time of day is this power being drawn? If it's very early in the morning, then do you have a storage hot water system by any chance? 

Kind regards, 

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Switched-on

@jaydeny wrote:

Hi NickSETo,

Thanks for getting in touch!

What time of day is this power being drawn? If it's very early in the morning, then do you have a storage hot water system by any chance? 

Kind regards, 

Jayden

Hi Jayden, AGL IQ suggests it's a constant 1.1 kw/h consumption during non-daylight hrs. Our hot water is gas and the system is switched off, our pool, all A/C and all other lights are switched off and the house is completely empty. Standing outside and watching the smart meter updates for 30mins shows no usage so i think the readings are incorrect for drawn electricity. Can I get the Meyer reset?

AGL Moderator

Hi NickSETo,

Thanks for getting back to me!

If you're absolutely adamant that everything is turned off, then it may be worth having your meter looked at by a technician. To arrange this I encourage you to get in touch with our customer service team via web chat here.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Dynamo

NickSeto,

When you say switched off.

Do you mean that all CIRCUIT BREAKERS are switched off or that only the on / off switches are turned off.

My reverse cycle AC draws 3kw a day when off and zero when the circuit breaker is off.

I think the previous owner has had some shonky install done possibly an alarm circuit.

As that calculates to 125 watts an hour.

Will be looking into this soon as might need the AC soon.

Cheers Neil