Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Highlighted

SMART METERS to Support Solar Installations

SK
Switched-on

I am in the process of initiating roof top Solar system installation for my property. Eventually i would need to replace our existing meters replaced with smart meters. The quotations i received does not include meter upgrade or co-ordination with the energy retailers. They insist i have to contact my retailers for meters upgrade. Tel calls to AGL helplines are not providing clarity of the process. I need to know the following.

1. Am I eligible to lodge a meter upgrade application myself?

2. Can I apply for meter upgrade even earlier than Solars installed?

3. Does Solars installer has any mandatory role in the application process?

4. I would be happy to know step by step process for lodging a meter upgrade application?

Kind regards  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: SMART METERS to Support Solar Installations

AGL Employee

Hey SK,

Those are some valid questions around the process of a meter exchange for a solar capable digital meter, however the requirements change depending on state and even local elec distributor.

Best to call the AGL Solar New Connections department directly on 1800 680 430.

Also this FAQ may assist you with some requirements for the meter exchanges:

https://community.agl.com.au/t5/FAQs/Meter-Exchanges/ta-p/6882

Highlighted

Re: SMART METERS to Support Solar Installations

SK
Switched-on

Hi Liam, thanks for your reply though it didn't provide the specific information i requested. I have called the solar support call centre many times and couldn't get the answers specific to my query. 

It is difficult to understand why you couldn't recognize the location pertaining to my query. My AGL login account is through my utility accounts.

Anyways My property is in NSW 2160. The local distributors are ENDEAVOUR ENERGY.

I need to know written procedure in getting my existing meters replaced by smart meters to support solar system. AGL is a big and reputed name and I trust there must be a written procedure to follow by the customers for each business.

Replies through call centre does not provide the clarity to follow.

Kind regards