Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Highlighted

Opting out of having Smart Meter installed

Switched-on

I do not wish to have a Smart Meter installed to my property

How do I opt out of it ?

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: Opting out of having Smart Meter installed

Retired AGL Moderator

Hey @Willemthis FAQ page answers any and all questions you have about the new digital meter installs, including how to opt-out.

If any questions I'll be happy to help.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!
Highlighted

Powerhouse

Hi Willem,

I did spot on another forum, much along the lines of your query, one guy printed up a sign, affixed on the outside and same on the inside stating, To AGL, do not install a digital meter on this property, he then took a photo of the original meter with the sign there, it's unfortunate in this day and age you have to opt out, it should be opt in, no out. Not fair in my opinion but that is how AGL chose to do it.

Another idea was to put a simply hasp and clasp on the meter box with a simple padlock, just adds to your determination you do not wish to have a digital meter installed.

Good luck!!!

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Highlighted

Powerhouse

I should have added, from Choice magazine:

https://www.choice.com.au/home-improvement/energy-saving/power-meters/articles/smart-meters-how-do-t...

Is there a downside to smart meters?

• Smart meters have the potential to be detrimental to consumers if retailers turn them into pre-payment meters rather than post-pay (in which you consume the energy and then get billed for it later, rather than having to pay before consuming the energy). Some consumers may prefer being pre-paid, however retailers may not give the household the option. 
  • Smart meters can limit the amount of electricity that a house can consume in a certain time – for example, three kilowatt hours over a 30 minute period. This has the potential to be used to restrict energy to consumers with credit issues. (On the plus side, it could be used to restrict individual high-consuming households in order to prevent a blackout to a wider area.)
  • Remote disconnection can also be a negative or positive, depending on how it's used.

CHOICE verdict

If used correctly, smart meters can benefit both the customers and the network. Demand-side management programs, such as households consenting to the network turning off their air-conditioners for 10 minutes an hour on peak days in exchange for a reduced electricity bill, demonstrates a win-win example for all parties. In other words, it's not whether smart meters are a good or bad thing for consumers, but rather how they are used by the networks and retailers or regulated by government.

If you live outside Victoria, you can't just call up your energy provider and have a smart meter installed. While some regulatory restraints preventing the installation of smart meters have been lifted, in other states a rollout is still dependent on the retailers.

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Highlighted

Conductor

I am an oldie and received a letter, which I lost, saying AGL were going to inspect my existing meter to see if it could be changed over to a digital one. The contractor arrived this morning saying he would install the changeover immediately.

Had I known of the reported health side effects I would never have agreed to its installation.

I am now worried about health risks as I sit daily watching TV less then 2 metres from the meterbox (on the otherside of the wall) and am considering if I should demand a reversal.

What do you think?

Highlighted

Powerhouse

Evening Tanwin,

Were told that having a router in our bedroom or a room off the bedroom is not good for our health, nor are lots of things associated with Wi-Fi, which is an Australian invention, we all have different views, mine is I am comfortable with all the new technology and like you I am no spring chicken, but I can't be without a mobile phone, or tablet or the internet etc.

With the digital meter, unless you vave solar or any valid reason like up to date useage etc. I don't see a point in changing and I still go back to my point that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.........

The question is, it's your home, why did you allow the installers to put one in in the first place..........if the case is pressure or dominance than you should first, in writing, ask AGL to a non digital meter and that is easier said than done.

A lot also depends on the state you reside, in my case it is SA and the main body who looks after the wholesale side is SAPN, AGL cannot get back your meter generally and in my case I had to get AGL to agree to pay for the transition back to an interval meter that is read by SAPN every three months.

It's hard for me to give you advice as all cases are different and I don't want to go down the path of all the details and dramas I went through, so out of courtesy discuss with AGL first to see if they will come to the party, courtesy plays a crucial part so be precise and to the point, if that all fails and you feel strongly then talk to the Electrical ombudsman in your state.

To be truthful though, there are heaps of advantages in having their smart meter installed and like I said, I don't believe in all the propaganda out there on health issues etc. but were all different.

Rob

Highlighted

Conductor

Thanks for your reply Rob.

I am thinking now the WiFi on these new meters is more powerful than say routers etc because of the distance they cover

I am in SA, have solar and have always been worried the imbeciles who read my meter (and refuse to follow directions) would let my dog out, so the new meter seemed like an easy answer, however the new meters with tiny window are almost impossible to read compared to the previous (solar) one that I paid $200 to have installed. I was also told everyone would eventually get one.

Reading the STOP Smart Meters website it seems the meters get the blame for everything but haemorrhoid

Highlighted

Powerhouse

Morning Tanwin,

In no particular order, SAPN and the SA Government have plans to do a rollout, one fine day, but there will be a cost to us so with AGL rolling them out for free it's a win win in most ways.

I don't recall the code but you can press the buttons and see your signal strength from your meter, again, I still don't believe it's a health hazard.

The meter window, for some may be hard to read and like any novelty I loved to go out and read it but until changing back to a standard solar SAPN supplied meter I never bothered as the AGL IQ software both on the PC and smart phones is so good you can do it from the comfort of your own home.

If you plan to stay with AGL as your retailer then the new meter is perfect, I decided to move to Simply Energy as they were heaps cheaper which meant a chnge of meter as SI cannot read that meter, it has to be an interval meter, read manually every 3 months. I now have the advantage over say you that I can choose ANY retailer and change at will. The meter changeover was a nightmare for me and needed the help of EWOSA, SI, SAPN and AGL, all who worked together in a professional manner to bring about the change, it's not quite over yet, AGL still need to do a tad more which they are doing now for me and we will all part as friends. Looking back, glad I did it but not the the faint hearted, but now I am back in control of my meter and no one can adjust my usage, slow/reduce my usage etc. as compared to having a smart meter, the SAPN one is not a smart meter but works perfectly, much like your old one.

Rob

Retired AGL Moderator

Hey @Tanwin, in regards to your concerns on safety - all digital meters meet the electro-magnetic exposure limits set by the Australian Communications and Media Authority and meet current Australian safety standards. The meters have lower emissions than many other every day devices such as phones, microwaves and baby monitors, and transmit using regular 3G mobile signal via the vodafone network.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!
Highlighted

Conductor

I have tried even using a magnifying glass but still find the little direction arrows in the top LH corner of the meter impossible to read. The numbers seem OK but codes dont help at all. I take it from your post I an able to get readings on my PC? Please explain?

I went to the AGL IQ site and 'chatted' to an agent there who says they still have my old meter number listed as apparently the installation contractor has not forwarded my paperwork/details yet.

I asked the installer about them being able to shutdown or ration my power and he said 'Its against the law currently' but knowing the incompetant clowns on North Terrace they will soon legislate to allow that

If AGL ration my power regularly I might be wrapping the antennae in foil