Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

New solar

Conductor

I currently have accumulation (spinning) meters connected which are read by a contractor for a fee of about $40 per bill cycle.

I have just had a solar system installed but as yet have not had my energy provider AGL contact me regarding the installation of a meter which will direct the solar power to my house and then any excess to the Grid. The system has a Fonius Inverter and at this time the Fronius Solar Web app tells me that solar power is being directed to the grid.

I have already advised my supplier AGL that I do not wish to have a Smart Meter installed and have received acknowledgement that my wishes will be honoured. It is Voluntary  to have it connected in NSW. 

I understand that an bi directional meter can be installed which will direct the solar power as indicated above. i.e. to the house first and then to the grid. I already have an app that tells me of the solar power being generated with "100%" being sent directly to the grid" and have a record of each days solar power output to the Grid. Until the new meter is installed, "Do I receive a credit for this solar power being directed to the Grid as I am still paying normal Grid prices?

Would appreciate any advice, Thanks..

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: New solar

AGL Moderator

Hi Rupert,

Thank you for your post!

There are some drawbacks by not upgrading your meter after having your solar system installed, with the primary two being as follows:

1. No feed-in tariff - As your existing meter has not been reconfigured to accommodate for the power you're exporting, there is no accurate way in which this power can be measured. As a result, you will not be credited for this. 
  2. Estimated bills - If you begin exporting more power than you're importing, your meter will begin to turn backwards. If this becomes apparent, it is very likely that your bills will be estimated based on your past historical consumption as again, there is no accurate way to determine how much power you've drawn from the grid.

Finally, whilst you do currently have the option to decline a voluntary smart meter upgrade, should the day come when your current meter becomes faulty and need replacing then a smart meter will be installed and cannot be refused. With this in mind, it is often more beneficial to bite the bullet now and have your meter upgraded so that you're able to take full advantage of your new system.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Conductor

Jayden, Thank you for your response to my query. Whilst I have no problem with your advice, I need to say that I should not be in this position if AGL through Essential Energy (who approved the Solar Installation) had installed a suitable meter when the installation was completed.

It appears from several comments on here that AGL does not appear to be in a hurry to install any meter which in previous times was performed by the Solar System installers. It is not as you imply that I am against a meter being installed (just a smart meter) to monitor my solar system output as this should be automatic.

You indicate that there is no way of monitoring my feed in so that I will not be credited. This is absolutely reprehensible and amounts to nothing more that theft as AGL is receiving a feed in to the Grid at my expense and then I am expected to pay a full rate for power supplied by the Grid.

I need to know when a meter is likely to be installed and if that information is not forthcoming then I will have the solar system switched off. If this does not result in a satisfactory outcome, I will have no alternative to switch providers for both Gas and Electricity.

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi Rupert,

Thank you for your reply!

Whilst there have unfortunately been considerable delays in meter upgrades in the past, our metering coordinator of choice 'Plus Es' have now largely caught up on these backlogs. These upgrades do need to be initiated by either your solar installer or you yourself as this is not an automatic process. I'll ensure that your feedback regarding this matter is forwarded however. To get the ball rolling on the process, I encourage you to contact our New Connections team on 1800 680 430 at your earliest convenience. 

Concerning your exported power not being credited back to your bill, I need stress that this fact does not come down to a decision made by AGL. This is due to the current constraints of your meter not being physically capable of recording this exported power, and as a result, there is no way for this to be credited back to you.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Conductor

Thank you Jayden for your response.

Prior to your suggestion I had already contacted AGL solar connections who told me I had to provide the name of an Accredited Electrician before they could raise an order on the Metering Companies.  I was given the phone number for one of the metering companies who suggested that AGL raise an order and then they would find a 'default electrician'.  This was not acceptable to AGL.

I then found the following site: https://www.energy.nsw.gov.au/energy-supply-industry/...gas.../contestable-works which has a complete listing by postcode of all accredited electricians/businesses. I contacted one of these and then provided all relevant information via email to AGL Solar Connections. I am informed that it will take no more than two week from raising the order to the meter being installed.

Could I suggest that the above web site be provided by AGL to any of their customers who is does not know of an accredited electrician in their area. This will certainly lower the frustration surrounding this matter. I also received assistance from Origin Energy who seemed to know more about this than AGL.

Highlighted

Conductor

Jayden, The issue of my solar meter is not resolved. I continue to get the run around from AGL. I was asked in a further email for the Meter Phase number which i presumed meant 1, 2 or 3 phase. My residence is single phase but AGL did not know that? Nevertheless I advised over the phone that it was Single phase.  I was then told I would need the license number of the APS despite having provided in an email all of the particulars of the Electrician including phone number, email, name, location, etc. I demanded to speak to a supervisor who undertook to ring the Electrician and obtain this number. He rang my mobile number and had to be redirected to the Electricians mobile number. He assured me that he would send off the order for the meter as soon as he had that information. Would you say that this matter has been resolved????