Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Meter change after solar installation

Switched-on

Hi AGL

I just had a solar system installed and was given an EWR number by my solar installer.

I called the connections team today regarding the EWR. I was told that I would need a new meter. I just checked my meter and it is a EMI Atlas MK10A 3phase meter. Is it correct that this meter needs to be replaced? I know people that have this meter installed and have solar so why does it need to be replaced? Can it not just be reprogrammed?

Also, I was asked if there was any problems with access to the meter box. I told them no, as meter box is on outside of house. What I just realised though is that my inverter is inside the garage. Surely the electrician will want to check that the inverter is turned off and isolated, before working on the meter change?

Thanks

Maurice

1 REPLY 1

Re: Meter change after solar installation

AGL Moderator

Hi Maurice,

Thank you for getting in touch!

If you live in NSW, SA, or QLD, your meter will likely need to be replaced to ensure that it conforms with the Power of Choice metering reforms which have been effective since 1/12/2017. You can find more about this here.

An electrician will not need access to your inverter to complete this work.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.