Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Installation of net meter for new/returning customer

Newcomer

I am a former customer of AGL who moved to Dodo for a period of time. I am now planning on returning to AGL.

I have a 2.8Kw solar panel system but still have the old gross “time-of-use” meter. 

My question is whether AGL will install a net meter free-of-charge after I have re-established my account with them. I have asked this question of the company verbally and was told “yes” but nobody has been able to give this guarantee to me in writing.

I would prefer the net meter to be time-of-use, if such a device exists. My house is on three-phase power, so the complexity is ensuring the inverter/net meter supply power to all three phases, not just one.

8 REPLIES

Re: Installation of net meter for new/returning customer

Hi albruwa,

Thank you for joining the AGL Community!

I am happy to confirm that this meter exchange will be free of charge under the following conditions:

• That your meter is already configured to export solar power, as well as import power from the grid
  • That no other changes need to be made to the meter other than the change from gross to net metering

Provided that these conditions are met, a smart meter will be installed which will then allow you to opt into a 'Time of Use' tariff.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Newcomer

Jayden, thanks very much for your quick reply and my apologies for my late response.  Two questions: First, I am attaching a photo of our existing meter(s) to see if you can check if they are compatible. The photo has rotated but you should be able to get the drift.Wakeley electricity meter.jpgSecond, could you please clarify if the new net meter that AGL will install will distribute power across the three phases in the house.  As noted, we have three-phase power.

Regards

Alan

Hi albruwa,

Thank you for your reply!

There is no way of confirming whether or not your meters are configured for solar export from photographs unfortunately, however you can confirm these by finding out if there was is a 'feed-in tariff' listed on your bills from your current retailer. In addition to this, I can confirm that your new smart meter would be compatible with three-phase power.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Newcomer

Thanks. That answers the questions. Yes, we are getting the feed-in tariff.

MT
Newcomer

What if you don't have a meter(s) that are already configured?

My situation is similar, in that I'm an ex AGL customer (actually still with AGL for gas) and I have 3-phase. However, as yet the Solar system hasn't been installed although the Permission to Connect has been granted, and I have never had feed-in-tariffs applied (newer had any).

What if I were to change before to AGL and select a non-solar plan, would the Smart-Meter/Net meter then be installed for free as it would (as i understand) if I were currently an AGL electricity customer?

Of course the alternative is to wait until my current retailer has installed the new meter and then switch but of course they may then offer.

A secondary question, is you say that you must have a Time of Use Plan but I could go online and select a Single rate solar plan e.g. AGL553181MR. Is that only available for online switches? The single rate very much appears to be the better option according to my calculations.

Hi MT,

Great question!

You can definitely switch to AGL, have your meter upgraded, and then accept a solar offer after the fact. Also, you can definitely take up either a single rate or a Time of Use tariff, you're not obligated to stick with one specifically.

Kind regards,

Jayden

MT
Newcomer

Jayden, that's good and thanks for the very prompt response.

So can I, say if I switched today, then submit the form to apply for the smart/net meter and if so how does the last meter reading (bill issued on 29/8/2018) and the 10-day cooling off period come into play.

Would I have to have request a reading? (One issue that irks me is that the current provider says I have to wait until the solar is installed before applying for a new meter).

Hi MT,

If you agree to join AGL, you will need to see out the 10-business day cooling off period first. After this, your transfer would complete when your meter is next read. We can't arrange for your meter to be upgraded until your transfer to AGL has been completed I'm sorry to say.

Cheers,

Jayden