Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Humming noise from meter

Newcomer

I'm wondering if smart meters emit a humming noise? Non stop I hear an intermittent humming in the room where my electricity box is located outside. It happens to be my bedroom. It's quite disturbing and when it stops for about 5mins at a time, you really notice the stillness...and then it starts up again. I can't think that this noise would be from anything else. This is my first home with a smart meter. I've never experienced this humming before. I'd love to hear some feedback 

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1

Re: Humming noise from meter

AGL Community Manager

Hi PL2000, 

It is not common for a meter to produce a humming noise.

We can request a technician to visit your site and inspect the meter. To do this, we require you to formally request AGL to raise a meter investigation service order with your Metering Service Provider, ensuring clear and safe access to the meter. If the meter is found faulty, it will need a replacement and no fee will be charged. You can request this be speaking to our webchat team here

Cheers,

Samjy