Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Highlighted

How long have you waited for your solar meter to be installed by AGL?

Conductor

Hello all AGL consumers. I am waiting for my bi-directional solar meter to be installed so that the 24 solar panels on my roof can get underway and I can start saving money on my Electricity bill. I have been horrified to read here in the community that some people have waited for up to nine months!  I also read that you can get it done privately. I would like to know of your experiences, how long have you waited so far and how long did it take by the time it was installed? I think this would be a valuable conversation to begin here as many are in my position and wondering why this takes so long. I did ring and was told "we don't have enough staff" so I would suggest they employ more contractors or have their own installers. What do you all think? Please post and I will let you know anything I find out because I am going to make it my business to find out why it takes so long.

Cheers all

lightspirit

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: How long have you waited for your solar meter to be installed by AGL?

Conductor

Hello all, well I am replying to myself to pass on what I found out. It seems that now, since December 2017, solar bi-directional meters are to be installed 30 days after the initial application by you solar provider. If this is accurate, we should get out meter approximately  six weeks after the initial application. It depends upon the availability of the contractor used for your area as AGL use only contractors. I would be satisfied with this time frame and I will update and let you all know if I got it on time. I rang again today and was told that within five days I will be given the exact date of the installation - very good.

Also, just to let you know, if you have asbestos in your meter box, you have to pay to have this removed before a solar meter can be installed. Only certain electricians remove asbestos and it has to be coordinated with AGL so do get onto this before you meter is due to be installed or it will be delayed while asbestos is present. Many old houses have asbestos in the meters, so check yours now!

Cheers all

lightspirit

Highlighted

Conductor

Hi all, well today my solar meter was installed and I waited only 20 days! GREAT!

After worrying, which was not necessary, AGL worked quickly, it took only 30 mins to install.

I believe that after last December 2017, things really changed and now I don't think anyone needs to worry. I did however, make several phone calls so maybe that helped?

Warm wishes

lightspirit

Highlighted

Switched-on

over 1 year and still waiting cant get any one to help me

Highlighted

AGL Moderator
AGL Moderator

Hi george69n,

Thank you for your input via AGL Community!

Although we are aware that metering coordinators are experiencing significant delays in completing their work orders, it shouldn't be taking over 1 year to get the meter installed. 

Please reach out to us through our webchat channel here or send us a private message with your account details so we can have a closer look at your account. You can also call the Solar New Connections team directly on 1800 680 430 for further follow-ups. 

Regards, 

Le 

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.