Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Gas and Electricity Consumption

Switched-on

Hi,

We’ve  just recently received both gas and electricity bills. Once I was able to pick myself up off the floor following the shocking triple the anticipated costs, we undertook an analys of the past 12 months and noted our 1-2 person household uses the same amount of power and gas as a 6 person household. This is the largest consumption we’ve ever had over a period of 12 months, with no new habits, occupants, appliances etc. In fact we’ve stopped using the dryer all together, as opposed to my prior daily use several times a day. On that basis alone, one would expect the bills would decrease, especially considering all other general living habits/appliances remained unchanged/reduced.

Further, Throughout the months of May and August, when we were overseas for a period of 4 weeks on each occasion. Notablely, the consumption actually increased during those particular months, however no one was living within our home. 

Having been unable to reconcile this, nor apply any logic or explanation to the increased consumption/costs, we contacted AGL and checked the meter readings, which were all correct.

Then, I called AGL to try and seek some clarity around why this dramatic increase may have occurred, however we have been unsuccessful in gaining any clarity whatsoever. 

Im wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what was the outcone? 

I can can only conclude a 4 person household is also using our electricty and gas meters, as there is no other explanation we have been able to establish. We have been unable to to identify any access points so this seems pretty unlikely.

Thanks for taking the time to review!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Gas and Electricity Consumption

AGL Moderator
AGL Moderator

HI Binga, 

Thanks for posting your feedback and comments!

I understand how a bill comparison like this would be of a shock to you and it certainly sounds like you've done all you can to have this investigated. 

It's difficult to find out which appliances has caused the hike in usage. You can find tips and guides on reducing your usage in the home here. 

There's also a 'plug in power meter' that you can purchase. Although AGL are not affiliated with nor do we endorse any specific brand, you can have a look here for more information. 

Feel free to contact our customer service representatives via webchat here to discuss any further issues with your account.

Kind regards, 

Le 

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.