Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Free meter upgrades for anyone?

Switched-on

Gday.

I notice AGL is offering upgrades to digital smart meters for selected customers.

If my friend were to install solar and needed to upgrade his meter, if he was an existing AGL customer or switched to AGL would AGL upgrade his meter, and at no cost?

Cheers,

Jay.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Free meter upgrades for anyone?

AGL Moderator

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the Community! 

Thanks for your inquiry and looking out for your friend! Apologies for the delayed response as I look into your inquiry. Some of the solar team are currently on leave so as soon as they are back on board I'll get back to you with a response. 

If you wanted to speak directly with our solar team on, please call 1300 769 918 or visit our solar site https://aglsolar.com.au/zero-dollar-solar/ . When visiting AGL solar, you can chat online with an expert by selecting the yellow button on the right of the screen "Speak with an expert" - or click to request a call back. 

I'll come back to you soon.

Cheers,

Samjy

AGL Moderator

Hi Jay, 

We are installing meters at no cost to current AGL customers who buy solar, from either AGL or privately. You can discuss this further with the the New Connections team on 1800 680 430 and the Digital Metering team 1300 669 245.

I hope that helps, 

Cheers,

Samjy

Switched-on

Hi,

Just to follow up on this matter of free upgrades on meters.

First ,I had no choice to upgrade.

..then the time taken to install the new meter is far beyond community expectations. I am still waiting on my meter to be installed pass the 30 business days stated by AGL. Very poor AGL, this is not what AEMC has asked of our retailers when dealing with customers. 

Just wanted to add, my wholesaler installed meters upgrades in 2 days and this was not unusual back when they installed meters. Just saying how customers are missing out now on service engagement.

I do have a question on changing retailers. If I change retailer after the install of a new smart meter then will AGL charge mr the cost ? , or will they take their meter back ?. Is their any cost to me if this happens ?.

Regards,Leojj

@Samjy wrote:

Hi Jay, 

We are installing meters at no cost to current AGL customers who buy solar, from either AGL or privately. You can discuss this further with the the New Connections team on 1800 680 430 and the Digital Metering team 1300 669 245.

I hope that helps, 

Cheers,

Samjy

AGL Moderator

Hi Leojj,

Thank you for updating us on your situation.

We can confirm that you will not be charged any additional fees if you make the decision to move retailers, nor will this result in any changes to your metering.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Switched-on

Thank you for your reply.

regards,