Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Do i need a 3 phase solar inverter with 3 phase power ?

Switched-on

Hi, 

My home has a 3 phase power and i am going for 6.6 kw solar connection with 5 kw three phase inverter. 

The solar company is advising me that i can go with single phase inverter as the new solar smart meters are programmed in such a way that it records the consumption across all there phases. 

See attached info shared with me. 

Is this how the solar smart meter of AGL works ?

Would you recommend that i can go with single phase inverter?

Thanks,

Vijay

Meter.png

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Do i need a 3 phase solar inverter with 3 phase power ?

AGL Moderator

Hi vijaychauhan,

Welcome to the AGL Community!

I can confirm that the information you've been provided is correct and that a single phase inverter will meet your requirements based on the above.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Re: Do i need a 3 phase solar inverter with 3 phase power ?

Dynamo

Hi Vijay,

The article you are quoting is spot-on. Your house should be fine on a single-phase inverter because your inverter is rated at a max of 5 kW.  If you have three phases, then the assumption is that you have a three-phase smart meter (You can cross-check this with AGL). When you get solar installed, you will need to contact AGL to make sure they reprogram your smart-meter for bi-directional energy (i.e. Drawn versus Delivered energy). It should record the consumption across all three phases and reconcile it with excess solar power.

The main issue with not getting a 3 phase inverter is Voltage Rise. As many people are now putting solar on their home, each house then begins to contribute to the voltage rise. I am not exactly privy to how fast solar panel systems are being installed, but I assume it is still part of the "boom" phase.  Eventually, if there is significant voltage rise, then this would make an inverter turn off and generate less power.  The way to minimise this effect on a 3-phase home is to install a 3 phase inverter. 

I also note, as a different issue altogether, that with a 5 kW inverter, that's the maximum benefit you are going to get even though you have a 6.6 kW solar panel system.  That's because of the loss in efficiency which takes place to convert the Direct Current (DC) to Alternating Current (AC), the inverter doing the conversion, the cabling, etc.  So assuming you had a 100% sunny day (maximum sunlight) and assuming the angle of the panels are positioned in the northerly direction, you may get between 50% and 75% efficiency. I would mention that the 6.X kW solar panel is the limit (you won't be able to add more solar panels without jeopardizing the inverter). You don't have that limitation on a 3-phase inverter.

Regards,

Schander