Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Digital Meter controlled load (off peak) manual switching

Switched-on

I have a new digital meter in SA with a clear and green button and want to switch my off peak hot water on.

I asume that pressing the green button should switch on the hot water supply. Can this be confirmed as I have run out of hot water?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Digital Meter controlled load (off peak) manual switching

Powerhouse

Morning 'Stretch',

I could be wrong and I hope I am for your sake but I was of the impression the buttons were not for the hot water service, as part of the FAQ on the AGL website it shows:

Can I still take a reading from my digital meter?

Yes. The LCD displays the options available to check your electricity consumption. It depends on your meter type how you do this.

There are two buttons on all our meters that will cycle through the key information stored. One type of meter labels the buttons “Connect” and “Select”, the other type has the buttons colour coded Green “for connect” and Clear “for Select”.

In both cases, you simply press and release the Select button to step through each screen of data. Once you reach the last screen the next press will cycle back to the first screen. The screen will have a label number on the left side of the screen, and the reading on the right hand side. The screens are:

• 01: Standard Time and Date set in the meter.
  • 03: Accumulated read of power used.
  • 13: Accumulated read of power generated and fed into the grid (solar installations only).
  • 07: Accumulated read of off peak load (this screen is only shown on meters that have an off peak hot water service).

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Stretch2201. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community. We already have a published article about this issue, you can find this post here

If this doesn't help you out, please get back in touch and we will work with you to find the best resolution. 

Thanks

Powerhouse

We learn something new each day!!

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Switched-on

Thanks Catherine,

Does the consumption then show as normal tariff and not off peak load during this cycle?

Powerhouse

Hi again,

I'm trying to spot were I read it but I do believe it could be called, pay when used in my words, and seems fair in most respects, meaning at the time you use it the cost corresponds with that actual tariff, so in your case, keep the boost to a minimum as during day you will pay sort of top dollar.

I'm sure Catherine here will know where that tid bit of info resides on the website.

Rob

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Stretch2201. Yes that would be correct, if you are 'boosting' the hot water during peak times, then the consumption will be charged at the peak rate. If you are doing this regularly it might be worthwhile looking into installing a bigger hot water system or having your current one checked. You can utilise AGL Smarter Living, here is the link to website or you can call the team on 131 766. 

Thanks