Controlled load 2 options for non profit sporting organisations

John_Marco
Semiconductor
1 Reply 7619 Views

Hello,

I am the president of my local junior Rugby League club and I've noticed that our bills are very excessive ($1800+) and the only things running are a few fridges and some hot water systems for the change rooms. I've noticed the majority of the supply is charged at the general usage (1067kw) and a fraction at controlled load 2 (197kw). This doesn't sound right to me as typically all HWS are on off peak? Can you please explain in detail further??

7 REPLIES 7
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 7613 Views

Hi John_Marco,

Welcome to the AGL Community!

Based on how you'e described your meter configuration, your hot water system would be running on this 'Controlled Load 2' register. All other consumption (fridges etc) would be running on the general usage tariff.

Can I ask to confirm what type of hot water system you have (instantaneous, storage, etc) and how frequently it is used?

Kind regards,

Jayden

John_Marco
Semiconductor
1 Reply 7596 Views
Hi,

It’s just your standard rheem hot water units and they’re only used at most once a weekend. It just doesn’t sound right that the contract is what it should be. $1800 per quarter to run about 5 fridges and some hot water units. Keep in mind, this is a sporting field where no one lives and the fridges and showers are only used once a week. 
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 7595 Views

Hi John_Marco,

Thanks for getting back to me!

If your hot water system(s) are large storage systems (or tanks), then these would be heating up at a minimum of once a day irrespective of whether or not the water inside of them is being used. They operate similar to a kettle in the sense that they heat up periodically to ensure that the hot water inside is ready to go when you need it.

In regards to the fridges - are these standard fridges/freezers, or chest fridges/freezers? Also, are these left on throughout the week?

Kind regards,

Jayden

John_Marco
Semiconductor
1 Reply 7594 Views

Hi again, I actually work for AGL myself and am also a licensed electrician. The fridges are the commercial glass door type variety. What the point of my question was what is the difference between controlled load 1 and 2? 

I actually think that the water heaters are not on the traditional off peak meter. Looking at the breakdown of the bill, it’s only about 10% is on this controlled load 2 meter, which asks the question, are these fridges which are on all the time but in a “canteen” and the doors are only opened on a Saturday really using this much energy? I don’t think so. Like I said, I believe the HWS are heating up during the day on the more expensive power load. 

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 7592 Views

Hi John_Marco,

The difference between Controlled load 1 and 2 are the hours of application. Controlled load will typically be active overnight for a 5-9 hour period, where as Controlled Load 2 is typically active for a 5-9 hours period during the day, and again overnight. The hours of application are set by your energy distributor.

If you're being billed using a controlled load 2, then it is highly likely that your water is heating during the day but this would be on the Controlled Load circuit. If you feel that your hot water system is using the general circuit as opposed to the controlled load circuit, then you can arrange for a technician to attend the address and investigate this for you. You'd just need to chat with our customer service team to book this in.

Kind regards,

Jayden

John_Marco
Semiconductor
1 Reply 7555 Views

Hi again,

Sounds like we may have to get a technician out. Is there any chance of forwarding me the link to the relevant customer service so we can arrange this?

cheers

john 

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 7554 Views

Hi John,

Happy to help!

You'll be best served getting in touch with our web chat team here. If you'd prefer another method of contact, you can find out details here.

Cheers,

Jayden