Meters and Connections

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Moving or need advice about your digital, net or gross meter? Ask your question here.

Highlighted

Calculation of Net Usage

Switched-on

How is my net usage calculated?? More specifically over what time period is the net usage calculated.

For example, is the period calculated on a monthly basis, weekly basis or what.

I am trying to understand that if I am a net exporter on say a Tues on the shoulder period but on Wed there is no sun & thus I am a net importer on that day can my net export (Tues) be included in the calc for the Wed hence reducing my import for the Wed.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Calculation of Net Usage

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Untech43

What a great question! 

In a nutshell, with your solar system installed: sun will shine on the panels generating one type of electricity (DC), this electricity is then fed into an inverter to convert it to the energy you use at home (240V 50Hz AC) - but this is not always used entirely. So any surplus electricity is then fed back into the main grid, to be used elsewhere.

Therefore once it has been fed back into the grid, it is unable to be saved for a later date. However if you are in Metro Adelaide, why don't you look at investing into a solar energy battery storage. You can find out more here

Thanks!