Smart meter to control usage?

ND
Switched-on
4 Replies 316 Views

Hi there,

We are supposed to be getting a smart meter installed soon. 

Is it true that the provider will be able to limit our usage, eg A/C, during peak periods? 

Regards,

ND

4 REPLIES 4
Lester
Powerhouse
0 Replies 272 Views

We recently got a smart meter when we had a new solar system installed.

For several years we resisted going from the old analogue meter to a smart meter, having heard about time of use (TOU) charges being more expensive, but had no choice when going to solar.

We love the ability to monitor electricity into and out of the home via AGLs app, and see real time usage with the solar app too.

It is more expensive for peak rates, when many people are home and using most power, but you can have cheaper off peak and shoulder rates, shoulder during daylight solar soak hours being cheaper.

We weren't told, by our solar quoters, or AGL when arranging the meter, that you can apparently stay on single tariff (or flat rate) when going to a smart meter, just automatically put onto TOU tariff.

You have to pretty much demand (ask nicely) to stay on you old tariff rate.

I'd look at plans on offer and go with a tariff that suits your needs for power, times of day you are home etc, and how willing you are to adapt your usage to save a little $.

TOU can work better with solar, and smart setting up of electric HWS on a timer for cheaper times, and will especially work to a battery installed too for eliminating other non solar power use, with the right solar and battery system purchased.

Check the energymadeeasy.gov.au site to look at energy company plans in your area.

Lester
Powerhouse
0 Replies 272 Views

Oh, sorry, forgot your basic question . . .

Not sure if an energy provider or network operator can regulate specific items like air cond, I think this would not be possible.

They can shut down power to areas if needed though, shut down solar too if safety in an area is compromised for weather or work on lines.

Brownout / power shedding is possible with any meter I'm sure.

Check some more info here . . .

https://www.aer.gov.au/system/files/AER%20factsheet%20-%20Smart%20meters%20and%20you_0.pdf 

Lester
Powerhouse
0 Replies 272 Views

As far as I'm aware, smart meters can't be used to access individual items unless perhaps they are smart appliances.

The smart meters can isolate power to an individual property though . . . like taking auto readings, the network provider can adjust meter settings and assume turn off power via a specific meter(s) remotely.

https://www.choice.com.au/home-improvement/energy-saving/power-meters/articles/smart-meters-how-do-t... 

https://www.aer.gov.au/system/files/AER%20factsheet%20-%20Smart%20meters%20and%20you_0.pdf 

Maybe others can advise if items on CL can be isolated (HWS, some air conds, etc).

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 286 Views

@ND 

Usage cannot be limited, nor can the retailer control your meter.

Meters are managed by the Supplier and they can remotely turn off meters, the supplier can also stop you producing solar.

Your supplier is listed on your bill and that is the company that gets your supply charge which is collected by your retailer in your billing cycle.

If you have a power outage that is controlled \ managed by your supplier, so don't even bother going to you retailer if you have a power outage as power to your residence is by your supplier..

AGL just make a stack of money from you, because you selected them as your retailer.

Now just resolve this as I have answered your questions and given all the correct answers.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.