Reading E355 meter

RichardP
Superconductor
3 Replies 15551 Views

Just over a week ago a Landis & Gyr E355 smart meter was installed. I asked the installer for a manual for it, he didn't have one and said to contact my supplier. I asked him how to read it, he didn't know and said to contact my supplier! I asked him how the boost worked, he didn't know and said to contact my supplier!! I came to this site looking for a contact email address but there isn't one. So, I lodged a complaint with the complaint function on this site, I complained about the lack of an email address and asked for the manual for the meter. I have heard nothing since.

The reason I want an email address, and didn't phone, is because I want a paper trail for the inevitable problems, something consumer bodies advise doing. I guess my next step is to lodge a complaint with the Energy Ombudsman.

Poor service? I guess you could say that.

47 REPLIES 47
_Mark_
AGL Moderator
3 Replies 9036 Views

Hi @RichardP, AGL is your energy retailer, responsible for your billing. We arrange with electricity distributors to upgrade infrastructure like meters, but the distributor owns and maintains the physical metering. I would suggest reaching out to your electrical distributor to get those questions answered! Thanks- Mark.

Drewat555
Switched-on
1 Reply 8994 Views

Hi,

I'm also trying to understand the codes on the Landis & Gyr E355 meter. The power distributer replied to my enquiry with, " In response to your enquiry, your Retailer is responsible for the installation, maintenance and reading of your Smart Meter.

We suggest that you contact your Retailer in relation to this enquiry." So is there anyone here to help please.

Regards,

Drewat555.

RichardP
Superconductor
0 Replies 8987 Views

DREWATT, thanks for your comments, it confirms what I was told (and at least you got a reply!). I haven't replied to the response from AGL as I have been waiting for replies from Landis & Gyr and Intellihub, the company that installed the meter. Result, nothing. It appears that the current business model when dealing with customer questions is to ignore them! This also happened to my original complaint to AGL, no response. Incidentally, Landis & Gyr no longer show this meter on their website, so presumably it is considered an "old" meter. Or it had "issues" so is no longer manufactured?

Back to my problem, AGL informed me that the meter was to be installed and they were the contact point regarding the installation. They also informed me of the installation date, and again were the contact point for this. As far as I am concerned AGL wanted the meter installed and therefore are responsible for customer queries. As they appear unwilling to help customers with this issue my next step will be to request that the old meter be reinstalled as this new one is not fit-for-purpose, in my opinion, as they are unable to provide the necessary information I require to read/operate it. If they refuse this request then I will make a formal complaint to the Energy Ombudsman.

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 8960 Views

@RichardP @Drewat555 

There are numerous videos on reading meters on the web.

There is even one on how to press the boost button.

One of my friends has two of these on their premise and I had absolutely no issues in reading them (even the hidden menus).

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Drewat555
Switched-on
2 Replies 8953 Views

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. After several searches on the web & on the Landis & Gyr website I can not find any information on the Landis & Gyr E355 meter. I guess I'll just wait for my next bill & then decipher what the codes represent.

Regards, 

Drewat.

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 8944 Views

@Drewat555 

Drewat,

Have a look at

https://neighbourhood.agl.com.au/t5/Meters-Connections/How-do-I-read-new-Landis-Gyr-355-smart-meter/... 

If you click on this link it will start a new web page for you.

In this post I try to explain how you can work out what your meter readings are.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
RichardP
Superconductor
1 Reply 8937 Views

I like to consider my google-fu as fairly reasonable but I was unable to find anything about how to read the meter, in fact what I found was simply more people asking the same question (with no answer). Perhaps you would be good enough to provide links to these sites you refer to? Interestingly, 109 people have viewed this thread, which makes me wonder just how many others share my thoughts on the matter.

NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 8931 Views

@RichardP 

I do not work for AGL and like many others on this forum we give our time and knowledge with very little reward.

Now as you rightly pointed out 115 people have viewed this post and only one person has bothered to like any of the posts.

Now I could find the information on the web (admittedly it was in a foreign country) I have also gave you a method to work out what meter could be what.

Now the company is of no help (I could not even find a technical manual on their site) now why should I bother doing all your work for you with no thanks.

I was going to detail the process when I went to my friends house tomorrow but I think that would only be a waste of my time.

Cheers Neil

RichardP
Superconductor
1 Reply 8856 Views

NEILC, it appears from the tone of your reply that I have in some way offended you, if so I apologise as that was never my intention. As of this post there have been 189 views, which I find interesting, and makes me wonder how many others out there are annoyed at not being given instructions with the meter installation. I have found instances going back a year or two concerning this issue (and with other retailers too, not just AGL) and with no resolution - basically, customers are being ignored!

During my searching I came across this little gem from Power Networks "Since 1 December 2017, your retailer is now responsible for installing all new and replacement electricity meters for residential and small business customers." That, to me, lays the responsibility fair and square in AGL's lap (are you reading this Mark?), which is also supported by customers being told by Intellihub, when they bother responding, to contact their retailer.

While I appreciate your taking the time to explain how to interpret the meter from my bill I already know how to do that but it is only a partial solution. I either have the manual for everything fitted in my house or I know where to download one if necessary - except for this meter, it has proven impossible to obtain.

As for requesting a "like" or clicking the "solve" button........I have come across this quaint practice on other forums and find it amusing. Over the years, on various forums, I like to think I have helped many people (and, in turn, been helped by many) and never once have I expected a "like" or given one, I am happy with just being able to share my knowledge and experience.

There is no chance of me clicking "solve" until I have my manual.

Perhaps I should just disconnect the transmitter part, maybe that will get somebody's attention. After all, it is on my property, fitted to my power board, and it is not necessary to tamper with any seals to do that.