Misinformed on digital meter

jimmey
Conductor
1 Reply 1316 Views

In accordance to Monday aug 14th 2023 the daily telegraph

heading Power bill gripes surge -Rising cost, smart meter shocks drive spike in complaints to energy ombudsman.

I live wagga 2650 ,this artical indicated to me that i have been misinformed about Tarif , i was informed that the tarif would stay the same when the digital meter  installed this sep 2023  to replace old meters.

For this purpose i will be cancelling the digital meter and proberly changing elelec companys.

yes the might be one where tarif is a fraction higher (hoping not) but then more carefull on how they do there reading and calculations.

4 REPLIES 4
NeilC
Powerhouse
2 Replies 1311 Views

@jimmey 

The benefit of smart meters is that they greatly allow you to locate a tariff that would be more beneficial to you.

On the Single rate tariff that you are on now, it gives you the same rate all day, whilst a smart meter will give you a variety of rates and allow you to manage your electricity usage to your own benefit.

You can look at all rates available on https://www.energymadeeasy.gov.au/ (you can click on this and it will start a web page for you).

I can tell you one tariff to stay away from and that is DEMAND tariff as looks can be deceiving without knowing your actual usage (which you will be able to see with a smart meter after a while).

A quick look shows that you can expect to pay

Daily supply charge 176.08 cents/day General usage rates 40.80 cents/kWh for single rate (ie no smart meter).

You can only refuse a smart meter once.

If you change Retailers you will still probably have exactly the same meter reader, as most retailers use the meter reader(s) that your Supplier (Essential Energy I believe for Wagga Area) employs.

You did not mention Solar but, if you don't have it now and decide to get it, then you immediately get a Smart Meter anyway. (Which you cannot refuse in most circumstances)

Good luck and start your search now to find the plan that you desire.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
jimmey
Conductor
0 Replies 1305 Views
i see what you mean. however at the time the digital meter goes i replacing the others , they do not tellyou (or even ask you before hand) or conferm for you what taffif you want it to be on at the time the digital meter goes in. Im finding agl so hard to comunicate with and to make changes after the meter install will be easeier said than done.
jimmey
Conductor
1 Reply 1280 Views

mostly yes i did get enlightened.

but not on the subject - where and what went wrong and whats been done about as so it wont happen again with non digital meters. and yes still hope that agl will be a lot more carefull ( not relying on automation) with there calculation of bills

NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 1273 Views

@jimmey 

I don't understand your issue about the bills.

No matter what sort of meter you have, the bills will (and have been for many many years) be calculated using computers with the bills also being printed via computers and high speed printers.

Your bill clearly shows how your bill is calculated and is easily checked using a calculator or a spreadsheet.

About the only issue I have is working out the GST payable as prices on your bill are calculated without GST and the last process on your bill is adding GST.

I have attached an AGL document here that explains how to read your bill.

Personally I have had a Smart meter since the 30th January 2019 and because of that, I can download may data and using that, can make predictions of what my bill will be and make fortnightly payments to ensure that I do not have bill-shock. ( I also do the same for my water meter on the right below).

NeilC_0-1692399143749.png

My electricity bill is easy to calculate as it is read every 90 days, whilst my water bill is really an approximation as I have no idea when the meter reader will read the meter.

In both calculations I work out my consumption so far, divide it by the number days to the since the last bill meter read date, to get a daily charge and then multiply it by 90 to get the predicted cost.

In SA we pay the highest costs for both water and electricity but I have noticed that we pay lower costs for our electricity supply costs.

Note on our electricity bill I have a credit showing, this is the credit in our account minus the current bill prediction, and at the moment we are paying $23 per fortnight into the account.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.