Saving energy using Wiz Smart Plug

Easysaver
Conductor
3 Replies 2154 Views

Hi Guys

I have recently started turning off my garage doors when I leave for work and arriving home. This means the standby power is not on 23.45 hours a day. I turn the power off via the app on the Smart Phone. It is just another way to reduce the power either by green or coal burning.

7 REPLIES 7
David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 2145 Views

Clever idea! A garage door opener probably uses a relatively low amount of energy in standby mode, but it all adds up. It's a great idea to be aware of the amount of energy that appliances on standby power (aka vampire power) can use. 

Anyone looking to find these kinds of savings could check out How to avoid paying extra for standby power 

Caban
Super Nova
1 Reply 2100 Views

@ Easysaver

As pointed out elsewhere, this is NOT an energy saving, as the Wiz Plugs also use standby power to run. They probably use more than the Garage Door opener as they are continuously handshaking with your router. The Door opener just needs a receiver.

If you really wanted to save the power then consider employing someone who is unemployed to sit by the garage doors. they could then raise and lower them when required and this would not consume any electricity at all. Maybe not a practical solution either.

Easysaver
Conductor
1 Reply 2097 Views
There seems a lot of if' and buts without any proof. For a person in a
wheelchair it is very convenient and I am very happy with Wiz Smart Plugs.
Caban
Super Nova
0 Replies 2095 Views

@ Easysaver

If they make your life more convenient, then that is great. i can see many applications where these plugs will do that. This is especially true for those in a wheelchair. The subject wasn't convenience but rather energy saving, and this does not add up.

Adding extra steps to opening the garage door is also not making that task any easier, just less reliable while using more energy.

In the absence of published data from Wiz Smart Plugs I have had to rely on some basic assumptions.

These are;

• That a low power receiver will use less energy than a transceiver.
  • That a device that needs to handshake with a base station will need more power than a passive receiver.
NeilC
Powerhouse
1 Reply 2086 Views

Hi,
I suggest that before people go investing in Smart Plugs that they invest in an Power Consumption Meter.

These devices plug into your GPO (Your standard 10amp power point) and then you connect the device under test. They can show you your current power draw and also your usage in kWh (kilo Watt hours).

The cost involved is about the same (or less) than purchasing one smart plug and can be used to test any device that can be plugged into any GPO to monitor its consumption.

I have had one of these for over 10 years and it is used to regularly test new devices and old devices to check their consumption.
Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.
Easysaver
Conductor
1 Reply 2085 Views
I received a wifi power monitor from Qld Government about 13 years ago and
that works well for my use.
NeilC
Powerhouse
0 Replies 2081 Views

@Easysaver 

So how much power does the Smart Plug use compared to leaving on the Remote Door Controller???

You did reply on this post:

"There seems a lot of if' and buts without any proof."

You also replied:

"I received a wifi power monitor from Qld Government about 13 years ago and that works well for my use"

You supposedly have the proof, so back it up with data and solve the IF'S and BUT'S.

People will read this and they need the actually data. I am with @Caban and truly believe you are using more power than leaving your door remote on.

You would really save more power by turning off your router in the house than leaving a few low power devices connected to the mains.

According to many sites the devices you use (or similar) use more power than turning off your modern smart TV.

Cheers Neil

If this comment solves your issue please solve the post, if you like this comment please take the opportunity to click the Like button below.