Bill to high - how do I cut back?

FeeBee21
Conductor
3 Replies 957 Views

Hi like most people I am finding the cost of living way over the top but having said that not crying poor mouth want I would like though are some sensible tips on how to cut back my bill. I pay out of the pension $40.00 a fortnight, I live in a one bedroom govt unit, I do have a air-con that I try not to use for too long Hot water is taken care of through communal solar panels.I do have a fish tank so 1 pump all the time and one light maybe 10 hours, I do listen to music nearly all day maybe 2 hrs at night for TV. I also have a C-pap machine on every night. I believe my usage per day is &4.96  How do I bring that cost down??? Would appreciate your help.

16 REPLIES 16
Caban
Stellar
3 Replies 701 Views

@FeeBee21 

Hi FeeBee,

Some things to look at to bring down the cost of electricity.

Obvious things first;

• Have you replaced the lights to using LED's (I know most have)
  • Is there a booster for the Hot Water Service?
  • Does the fish tank have a heater? If so that will use more than the light, aerator or filter. Can you change to cold water species instead of tropical varieties?
  • What is the energy rating on your Fridge and/or Freezer? These are on 24/7 and more efficient models do make a difference.
  • Do you use a clothes dryer? These use a lot of power. The free solar systems are more economical.

Some less obvious;

• Is your Air Con a split system or wall/window mounted? If it is a split system then the outside part is probably consuming power all the time, even when not in operation. This can be reduced with  some planning.*
  • Are you on the best plan for your usage patterns? Personally I make more electricity than I use with a Solar/Battery system, so my important parameters are the Daily Charge and Feed In Tariff. Yours probably will be different. If your usage is known then an optimal plan can be suggested.
  • Are you on a flat rate or time of use? If it is time of use then try to use items with a heavy load (Oven, Electric Range, Washing Machines, Dishwasher etc.) during the off peak periods. This can be inconvenient as it is normally after 10pm and on weekends. Use of timers can help to run things when you are asleep.
  • Have you applied for a rebate for your home medical device? In some States this can be available through the Dept of Health (ask to speak to a local Social Worker)

The Stereo and TV probably do not consume a lot of power, assuming they are fairly modern models.

*Turn your AC off at the switchboard when you are not going to be using it for an extended period. Remember to switch it back on a couple of hours prior to running it again. The heater in the unit can consume approx 60 - 120 watts in standby. This is 1.44 to 2.88 kWh a day or about 130 to 260 kWh a quarter. If the average cost is 40c/kWh that is $50 to $100 a quarter ($4 to $8 a week). A high price for convenience.

FeeBee21
Conductor
0 Replies 690 Views

Thank you some very good tips there luckily for me fish are cold water chappies. Interesting about the air con it is a split one so I will check that out. Son changed all light bulbs perhaps I should check my refrigerator it is an older one. No air dryer that's what the sun and wind are for anyways thanks for the suggestions

Tiddyoggy
Semiconductor
2 Replies 686 Views

Hi Caban, the usage in standby mode of a split system , does depend on the age of the system, and the technology it uses. Regards

FeeBee21
Conductor
1 Reply 682 Views
My air con is new April 2023
Caban
Stellar
0 Replies 674 Views

@Tiddyoggy 

I do not have a split system, just one small wall unit. When I looked into this a while ago it seemed that MOST split systems had crank heaters of various power levels. The exception seemed to be the more expensive units. I did note that the efficiency figures were only quoted for when the units were operating, not for standby.

This unit being in a rental property I am assuming it will probably be the cheapest the owner can purchase, but I could be wrong.

Caban
Stellar
1 Reply 673 Views

@FeeBee21 

I would look up the Specifications of the Model you have and see if it has a crank case heater. It may not be obvious.

FeeBee21
Conductor
0 Replies 670 Views

I have looked and as far as I can tell it does not have a crank case heater 

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 644 Views

Hi @FeeBee21 , on top of the great advice from @Caban above you  might find a few more good tips on this discussion:

https://neighbourhood.agl.com.au/t5/Managing-Your-Energy/What-are-your-best-power-saving-tips/m-p/32...

Or on our Energy Saving Tips help page: https://www.agl.com.au/help-support/energy/financial-support-and-customer-assistance/customer-assist...

David_AGL
AGL Community Manager
0 Replies 637 Views

@FeeBee21 ,

Another thing to check if you're struggling with cost of living is that you're receiving all the concessions and rebates you're eligible to. Take a look at https://www.agl.com.au/help-support/energy/financial-support-and-customer-assistance for more info, or get in touch with us so we can assist.