Knowledge Base

Find FAQs and other information in these articles published by an expert.

Why do I get estimated bills?

50% helpful (1/2)

Sometimes we might need to estimate your energy usage, rather than organise a read of your meter. There’s a few reasons why this might be necessary.

For example, the distributors who read your meter might have trouble accessing it. This usually happens if your meter’s been installed indoors, is behind a locked gate, or is guarded by a pet pooch.

If you receive monthly bills, we’ll need to estimate your usage as your distributor usually only provides us with an actual read every two or three months. If you’ve got a smart meter installed, it’ll upload your meter data at 30 minute intervals.

Once we get an actual meter read from your distributor, or once you submit a read yourself via My Account or the App, we’ll check and correct your account based on if we’ve charged you too much or too little. If we have charged you the wrong amount, we’ll either include an adjustment on your next bill or resend you an adjusted energy bill. You can tell if your bill is based on an estimate or an actual read by looking at the ‘Reading Type’ or ‘Current Reading’ section on the back of your bill.

Avoiding estimated bills is easy. Just submit your reads online via My Account or the App and we’ll bill you based on those reads. If you’d like to request an actual meter read (a fee may apply), please chat with us anytime.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Version history
Last update:
22-02-2018 01:10 PM
Version history
Revision #:
9 of 9
Last update:
‎22-02-2018 01:10 PM
Updated by:

Labels (3)