Highlighted

Announcement: Hoax emails in circulation

Updated: 6th October 2016

Customers and non-customers have received scam emails that are falsely claiming to be from AGL. The emails are presented as an eBill titled 'Account overview', 'Paperless Billing' or 'My Monthly Billing' (see examples below).

Interacting with the email may result in the downloading of Malware that has the ability to access your personal files.

Anyone receiving a suspicious email should delete it immediately or, if opened, not click on any links within the email.  We also advise recipients of any suspicious emails to run antivirus software and block the sender by adding to the junk folder list.

For information on how to identify a scam email head to this Knowledge Base article or the Scamwatch website. Any customers with concerns about the scam emails should call AGL on 131 245.

Hoax email example 1: 

HoaxEmail5.png

Hoax email example 2:

paperlesshoax.png

Hoax email example 3:

NewHoaxEmail1.jpg

2 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: Announcement: Spam email "Your electricity bill"

its actually a bit more than that

this particular fake email directs you to a website that has links to the Crypt0l0cker ransomeware

this is wose than a virus As it encrypts all your files

the ransome is over $1000 aus & unknow if it actually works or not

also it can only be paid by bitcoin

dr web antivirus has a decryption service if needed

Rookie

Re: Announcement: Spam email "Your electricity bill"

Regarding this, it's worth noting that it was very poor timing for AGL to start charging for paper bills for a majority of their customers, especially those not overly technical folk who are being forced to ebill to avoid paying an extra $1.75 per bill.

I'd like to offer the following advice here freely (mostly because I want to help people, but not necessarily to benefit AGL who should really pay for such advice).

AGL, please include on your website the detail from 'Scamwatch' regarding NOT clicking on any links you get in any email from anyone who wants money from you, or wants to check your account details, or has a package for you at the post office (there are all sorts of scams).  Instead, customers should be encouraged to use Google or their last free paper bill to prepare a bookmark/favourite in their chosen browser to the legitimate AGL website and their legitimate bank website.  Always use the bookmarked link to access these sites, NOT the emailed links.

I understand the good intentions here of including a legitimate bill for reference, and I can only hope that the people involved with these scams make use of it also, so even if it looks legitimate.  In any case, whatever it looks like, don't click any links in the email, use your bookmarks and phone AGL directly if it's not making any sense.

Also, add the note that scams evolve - currently you can identify the scam by the unusual non-AGL email address it originated from, but this may not always be the case.  Any and all advice should be seen as being accurate at the time it's given and be updated regularly to reflect changing conditions.

Be safe out there.